Week 9: Forum/Discussion Board

Picture of Karen Chow
Re: Fetal Skeleton
by Karen Chow - Monday, 1 March 2021, 11:44 PM

Hi everyone,

I love this week's topic because it is such an interesting one and is a great way to learn more about and simultaneously lock in any abnormalities we may encounter while scanning OB.

While checking that baby's major bones such as femur, humerus, ribs, spine, and cranium are normal length, density and shape, we must remember to spend some time on hands and feet, to make sure the little piggies are formed and growing properly!

Normal fetal hands should show all 5 digits growing properly and of different lengths (the way normal fingers are), and just the simple motion seen of baby clenching and unclenching their fists can rule out so many abnormalities already.

One abnormality that I feel can be easily overlooked is "trident hands." Trident hand is a malformation of the hand that can be seen in utero, demarcated by short, stubby appearing fingers of even length, and a larger separation of the third and ring finger. This abnormality is typically related to achondroplasia, which would include a whole host of other possible skeletal dysplasias, and so if you were to see this as a possible diagnosis it would be good to double check all other measurements. 

Just to really quickly go over achondroplasia-- it is a mutation in the FGFR3 (fibroblast growth factor gene 3) that causes abnormal cartilage formation, affecting the ossification of some bones. It is the most common cause of short limbed, or rhizomelic, dwarfism. Some other abnormalities we may see with this congenital disorder would include shortened and bowed femurs, frontal bossing, flattened nasal bridge, anterior flaring of ribs, and increased uptick in angle from lumbar spine to sacrum.

Here's a great article for more info:

https://radiopaedia.org/articles/achondroplasia?lang=us

292 words
Picture of Lauren Brodehl
by Lauren Brodehl - Tuesday, 2 March 2021, 11:51 AM

Wow! I honestly think I could scan right by a fetal hand with this appearance and not even notice anything wrong at this point, which is scary! I see how the US does show the hands as kind of stalky and the fingers don't look normal after having it pointed out. This week's board has really alerted me to the little things I could easily be missing and why documenting every single part is so vital.

76 words
Picture of Chrishawna Porter
by Chrishawna Porter - Tuesday, 2 March 2021, 6:27 PM

Hi Karen,

Awesome job on your posting and I love that you went the extra mile and included extra information on achondroplasia!! Hands and feet are one of the things that completely elude me when I am scanning OB. I think I am too focused on the big stuff like cranial anatomy, heart views, Biometry, and long bones that I hands/feet are swept under the rug. I am curious what the clinical significance of trident hands is, does baby still have the ability to use their hands normally or are there some limitations? At first glance they didn't necessarily look abnormal to me, but re-reading your post I now see the fingers are all about the same length and the increased distance between the 3rd and ring finger.

129 words
Picture of Karen Chow
by Karen Chow - Tuesday, 2 March 2021, 9:23 PM

Hi Chrishawna!

Same here, this class has for sure made me more aware and cognizant of everything we are scanning. Hopefully, I will get to scan more OBs soon as I barely see any at my site at the moment! It must be exciting to be able to relate what you do at clinics to this class.

For trident hands, there is usually some limitation in the sense that they may not get full extension of their fingers, but it seems like this is mild compared to some of the other skeletal abnormalities we've been discussing in this post.

This article is long but I like searching key words and reading snippets about the different types of hand and foot abnormalities that it covers. It even has Marfans in there!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3041879/

Thanks

-Karen

141 words
Picture of Chrishawna Porter
by Chrishawna Porter - Wednesday, 3 March 2021, 6:00 PM

Hi Karen,

That's so cool that your article covers Marfans syndrome, what a throwback to Q1 LOL! Your posting has had me extra aware of fetal hands because at first glance I honestly didn't notice anything off in the images you shared. I am wondering if this might be easier to identify in the 3rd trimester as everything gets a little bigger on the baby and the move a whole lot less! Great Job!!

74 words
Picture of Nailah Hollman
by Nailah Hollman - Wednesday, 3 March 2021, 6:29 PM

Hey Karen, 

This was really informative! I was not aware of this anomaly. It makes sense this anomaly is related to achrondroplasia since the digits are not developing into their full size. Trident hands seem like it would be challenging to diagnose Sonographically. From the picture I looked up it seems as if we may have to look for fingers that seem abnormally separated.

trident hand on ultrasound - Google Search | Sonography, Ultrasound, Obgyn 

Awesome post Karen!

67 words
Picture of Hailey Indelicato
by Hailey Indelicato - Wednesday, 3 March 2021, 7:23 PM

Hi Karen!

I really like that you decided to talk about a hand anomaly! something so small can have some serious problem, although not life threatening, still serious none the  less. I remember Dr. Wilson said we won't be sitting there counting the digits but an abnormality like this should not be missed, especially if we are paying close attention to all fetal parts as we should. I also appreciate you going over achondroplasia again, it didn't really stick with me after lecture. Double checking measurements is a great idea after finding an abnormality like this that affects the length of the bones directly. Good call!

106 words
Picture of Sarah Swager
by Sarah Swager - Wednesday, 3 March 2021, 10:11 PM

Howdy Karen,

Which little piggy went to the market?  

Sometimes people will see adults with trident hands and assume they're marking the Vulcan hand sign. This short video explains a little more about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyVYH11cO_w

Please take a minute to watch if you can. It helps to humanize what we see with US!

Sarah

61 words
Picture of Karen Chow
by Karen Chow - Thursday, 4 March 2021, 6:10 PM

Hi Sarah,

OMG the Vulcan sign, hahaha! I was thinking that too, not to downplay these abnormalities of course. 

I love that video, thank you so much for sharing it.

Karen

31 words
Picture of Ramandeep Singh
by Ramandeep Singh - Thursday, 4 March 2021, 9:01 PM

Hi Karen,

I did not know to look out for this! This shows how important it is for us to not only have good scanning skills but also be very knowledgeable about different abnormalities so we do not miss them. Have you learned any tips to scan the fetal hands at your site? I have issues trying to get  a very clear picture and now I am worried I might have missed something like trident hands.

76 words
Picture of Candee Lam
by Candee Lam - Friday, 5 March 2021, 9:01 PM

Hey Karen great pathology that you chose I feel like it would be difficult to spot this while doing a second trimester scan because the digits are already so small and sometimes the fist can be clenched are in the mouth of the fetus making it difficult to visualize. I believe I remember Dr. Wilson saying that you do not need to look or count of the digits so I’m wondering would it be a noticeable pathology for you to spot? have you seen this pathology in the clinics? 

89 words