Week Three Discussion Boards

Picture of Michelle Wilson
Amniotic fluid
by Michelle Wilson - Monday, 11 January 2021, 5:28 PM

Discuss what factors might cause the amniotic fluid levels to be too high or too low and how the various levels could affect the developing fetus.

Discuss the idea behind mechanical obstructions vs intrinsic issues that might affect amniotic fluid volumes. Why or how do fluid volumes help sonographers better assess rather quickly and subjectively the overall "feel" of the amniotic cavity. What might be the consequences to a pregnancy with too much or too little fluid? 

Picture of Zulema Hernandez
Re: Amniotic fluid
by Zulema Hernandez - Monday, 18 January 2021, 11:53 AM

Hi everyone!

I’m excited to see your posts this week about amniotic fluid. Amniotic fluid should be seen throughout the pregnancy, and often increases during the 1st 2 trimesters, and decreases during the 3rd trimester. It plays many important roles for the fetus, and therefore it is vital that we as sonographers become familiar with the role we play in determining if the amniotic fluid is normal. 

To go along with Dr. Wilson’s questions this week, here are some other questions I thought might be useful in getting us talking about amniotic fluid:

1. What are some roles that amniotic plays (Why are we so concerned about measuring it)?

2. What terms are used to describe excessive and insufficient amniotic fluid?

3. What are some key guidelines we must follow in order to obtain the most accurate AFI possible?

4. Do you have any questions regarding amniotic fluid? Post them below, we’re all trying to figure this all out! (:

Picture of Lania Black
by Lania Black - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 10:19 PM

Hi Zuly! You did an AMAZING job as moderator! I was wondering if you knew exactly what was referred to when Dr. Wilson mentioned mechanical obstructions vs. intrinsic issues? I had a bit of a hard time understanding what to address in regards to that topic.

by Zulema Hernandez - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 7:13 PM

Hi Lania!

Thank you so much. I am also unsure of what is being referred to with mechanical obstructions and intrinsic issues, I commented about what I think it might mean on Brittany's post that you also replied to. I think a few of us are stumped on this, so hopefully we will get clarification from Dr. Wilson! Keep up the great work!

by Zulema Hernandez - Monday, 18 January 2021, 2:32 PM

Both maternal and fetal factors can cause amniotic fluid levels to be too high, causing polyhydramnios, although about 50% of the time it’s idiopathic. Some causes can be diabetes, RH incompatibility (condition that occurs during pregnancy if a woman has Rh-negative blood and her baby has Rh-positive blood), preeclampsia (pregnancy complication characterized by high blood pressure and signs of damage to another organ system, most often the liver and kidneys), congestive heart failure, certain infections, fetal anomalies and many others like trisomy 18 and 21.

The way this condition affects the fetus depends on the etiology. The cause could be mechanical obstruction, where the baby can’t swallow, or obstruction in the duodenum of the esophagus. Or it could be due to fetal anomalies (which I believe are intrinsic)? These may include anencephaly, meningocele, encephalocele, hydrocephaly, and hydranencephaly. With cranial anomalies, the fetus may not be able to swallow, and might essentially be largely inactive. 

This YouTube video shows a fetal ultrasound with anencephaly (I think you can see the majority of the brain just fully exposed lacking skull), and polyhydramnios. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjv_Gyu8DHE

I found this article that explains some of the complications that may occur, specifically if the polyhydramnios is due to over extension of the uterus. They include preterm labor, umbilical cord prolapse and abnormal fetal presentation.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3964358/

Some causes of insufficient amniotic fluid (oligohydramnios) include PROM (premature rupture of membranes), or leaking membranes which may cause an increased risk of infection and fetal demise. IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction) may also cause oligohydramnios, because the baby is not thriving and not producing enough fluid/swallowing. Urinary anomalies such as renal agenesis which may cause Potters syndrome. Other urinary anomalies contributing to oligohydramnios may include renal obstruction which may prevent the bladder from emptying. 

Picture of Candee Lam
by Candee Lam - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 12:19 PM

I also just noticed in lecture that there will be a longer umbilical cord with polyhydramnios. 

Picture of Paris Colunga
by Paris Colunga - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 1:42 PM

Not always! 

Picture of Leah Borries
by Leah Borries - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 9:14 PM

Hi Zuly,

Great job moderating! Also I really like the video you shared. As a visual learner and someone who hasn't been out to a clinical site yet, it helps give me more perspective and case study experience. In you response to my post below, you shared some of your insights from your clinical site as well, which was awesome to read about.

I ended up doing a bit of a detour into anencephaly after watching the video. This is a still image that helps illustrate the pathology. It was also interesting to learn that anencephaly accounts for about half of all NTDs (neural tube defects) [source]

img

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 10:05 PM

Hello Miss Moderator Zuly! Great post and resources. I didn't realize how many CNS anomalies were associated with polyhydramnios, but it does make sense. 

Since you mentioned obstruction of the esophagus as another cause of polyhydramnios, I thought I would share this website describing cases of esophageal atresia. It says that normal fetuses should always have a little bit of fluid in the stomach, and if we don't see the stomach refill with more fluid within 30 minutes, there is likely a physical or neurological blockage of swallowing. I thought that was a good tip!

Picture of Brittany Lopes
by Brittany Lopes - Monday, 18 January 2021, 2:45 PM

Amniotic fluid fills the amniotic cavity that surrounds the developing fetus. It is produced by the cells that line the amnion during the first trimester. Once the fetus has developed kidney function, most of the amniotic fluid is produced from urination. The fluid is then ingested by the fetus to maintain a balance. 

This fluid provides many functions for the fetus. It provides cushion, allows for movement of the fetus, and aids in lung development. Without a proper amniotic fluid volume these functions may be impeded. 

There are several issues that may affect the AF volume. If the fetus has an abnormality in its kidneys and cannot produce urine, then the volume may be too low. This low volume of amniotic fluid is referred to as oligohydramnios and can cause compression of the fetal organs and it can increase the chances of having a preterm birth.

There can also be too much amniotic fluid which is known as polyhydramnios. This may be due to a fetal abnormality where the fetus cannot swallow the fluid, thereby it is unable to balance the fluid that is produced by urination. Polyhydramnios can lead to preterm labor or premature rupture of the membranes.

A sonographer will need to determine the amniotic fluid index (AFI) by measuring the amount of fluid in 4 quadrants around the fetus. This volume will allow the sonographer to assess rather quickly the overall state of the amniotic cavity because they will be able to see if the amount is too high or too low, and this may lead them to look for other developmental issues in the fetus.

I’m having a little bit of difficulty defining what are considered “mechanical obstructions'' and what are the “intrinsic issues'' which can affect amniotic volumes. Maybe someone could explain the difference between these? :)

by Zulema Hernandez - Monday, 18 January 2021, 7:55 PM

Hi Brittany,

Fantastic response! I also had trouble differentiating between mechanical obstructions and intrinsic issues, however my best guess right now is that intrinsic refers to cranial anomalies, but I'm not sure! 

You mentioned AFI is measured in 4 quadrants around the fetus, do you have ideas about what makes a "good pocket" of amniotic fluid for measurement? (What we must make sure is not in the pocket and how we can determine this sonographically?) 

by Brittany Lopes - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 9:26 AM

Good morning, Zuly!

Thank you for your insight! 

In response to how to measure the AFI, I believe we want to find 4 quadrants that do not contain the fetus or the umbilical cord. Using color Doppler may assist in determining if there is umbilical cord there as it can otherwise be hard to see. The pockets should also be measured vertically to get a depth in centimeters. These 4 values are then added together to get a total volume. Depending on how the fetus is laying, the measurements of the quadrants may not be similar in size, but this is okay as it is the sum of the values which is important. 

Those of us who have been going to labs on Thursdays have begun exploring how to scan and measure the AFI! I'm still finding it a bit challenging as the fetus can be positioned in many different ways and this can confuse my orientation, but I'm hoping with more practice I'll get the hang of it!

Picture of Lania Black
by Lania Black - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 10:23 PM

Hi Brittany! Great response! We had pretty similar answers. I too struggled with what mechanical obstructions vs. intrinsic issues were. I hope this can later be clarified for us so we can addresses is better. I wanted to also add that I learned that twin pregnancies could be a cause of oligohydraminos/polyhydraminos due to one baby receiving too much blood and nutrients and the other baby receiving too little! I found that very interesting. I wonder what would be the actual solution for such a situation of if there is one at all?

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 10:38 PM

Hi Lania! I'm glad you brought oligohydramnios/polyhydramnios with twins. Super interesting! After a smidge of research, I think that condition is called Twin-to-Twin Transfusion Syndrome (TTTS). Good news - there are a few different treatment options, depending on how early the condition is caught.

https://www.childrensmn.org/services/care-specialties-departments/fetal-medicine/conditions-and-services/twin-to-twin-transfusion-syndrome/

Picture of Lania Black
by Lania Black - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 11:40 PM

Hi Alexis!

OMG! Thank you for finding this and responding! Super helpful. These eases my mind that there are possible solutions for this syndrome and not just having to wait it out throughout the entire duration of the pregnancy and hope for the best.

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 10:23 PM

Hi Brit! Nice succinct post! I like how you mentioned once we determine there is abnormal amniotic fluid volume, we should check for anatomical issues in the fetus to gather more information. 

Disclaimer - my take on mechanical vs intrinsic may not be correct. I thought of mechanical as a physical or neurological obstruction of a bodily function, like your example of an anomaly where the fetus cannot swallow. This can be due to obstruction in the GI tract or CNS issues where the brain is unable to send signals to the smooth or skeletal muscles responsible for swallowing. Intrinsic was a little tricky for me as well, but I landed on it being related to the supply and/or quality of the maternal blood since it is responsible for nourishing the fetus and helping it thrive on its developmental journey. Maybe it would include metabolic defects also (if any).

by Brittany Lopes - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 4:25 PM

Hello!

Thank you for your insight! It's helpful for me to see how others understand the differences between mechanical and intrinsic factors :)

Picture of Paris Colunga
by Paris Colunga - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 1:45 PM

Hey Brittany,

Great job mentioned renal development! Around what week do the renal take over amniotic fluid production?

Also, I'm so glad you mentioned lung development. This is why when babies are born premature, we are most concerned if their lungs are fully developed.

by Brittany Lopes - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 4:23 PM

Hi!

I believe it is around 12 weeks when the kidneys will begin producing the majority of the amniotic fluid through urination! Before this, the cells lining the amnion will secrete fluid.

Picture of Leah Borries
by Leah Borries - Monday, 18 January 2021, 5:09 PM

Amniotic fluid plays an important role in pregnancy. It serves as a cushion, prevents adhesions, and aides in lung development and symmetrical fetal growth. During the first trimester, the fluid (98% water, 2% solids) is secreted by the amnion. Once the fetal kidneys start functioning, they produce much of the amniotic fluid via urination.

• There can be too much amniotic fluid. This is termed polyhydramnios. It occurs when the amniotic fluid index (AFI) is above 24cm. This can result in preterm labor, fetal malpositioning (ex. breech), PROM (premature rupture of membranes), umbilical cord prolapse, and more.
  • There can be not enough amniotic fluid. This is termed oligohydramnios. This is determined at a measurement of less than 500mL of fluid. It be caused by PROM, IUGR, renal issues and urinary abnormalities (see below). It can result in Potter's Syndrome, pulmonary hypoplasia, increased risk of stillborn, and compression of fetal organs.

An example of an intrinsic issue affecting amniotic fluid volume is bilateral renal agenesis. As previously mentioned, the kidneys take over a lot of the amniotic fluid production through urination. If the fetus does not develop kidneys, it can result in oligohydramnios. Additionally, bilateral renal agenesis is not compatible with life. Another intrinsic cause of oligohydramnios is  fetal swallowing issues as this also prevents the cycle of fluid through the fetal kidneys. Conversely, polyhydramnios can be caused by maternal diabetes or fetal genetic anomalies.

Oligohydramnios can also result if there is a mechanical obstruction in the fetal urinary system. Examples of obstruction include obstructive ureterocele, ureteral stricture, and persistent cloaca.

I suspect many sonographers can sweep through an OB scan and already have a sense for whether or not there is enough amniotic fluid. We always measure to calculate AFI, but because the anechoic amniotic fluid provides an acoustic window for visualizing the fetus, it is something that should be noticed right away.

I'm not sure why, but this discussion board question set seemed harder for me. Did anyone else feel that way? I'm not 100% confident in my post, so please respond if something doesn't sound right to you. I'm curious to see if anyone found other etiologies for oligo/polyhydramnios.

by Zulema Hernandez - Monday, 18 January 2021, 8:06 PM

Hi Leah!

You did a great job with your post! The phrasing on this week's discussion board was a bit confusing, however I think your information looks correct!

The sonographers I have watched scan OB patients, seem to have a good sense of when the amniotic fluid is normal/abnormal as you mentioned. Additionally, many of the OB inpatients in my clinical site come with an order specifically for an AFI measurement because of suspected oligohydramnios. I've also seen some patients be asked to come back the next day for a 2nd AFI assessment, after sufficient hydration. I thought this was very interesting because it highlighted the fact that apparently maternal hydration can affect AFI significantly! 

Picture of Candee Lam
by Candee Lam - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 3:44 PM

Hi Leah, I also thought someone mentioned being able to eye the amniotic fluid levels. I agree this discussion board was a bit more of thinking. I had to reference the video lecture a couple times but I think it is because there is a lot of different numbers and values to remember in this lecture. I think your answers were all right though. For the intrinsic issue of bilateral renal agenesis, oligohydramnios makes sense because there would not be any kidneys to produce amniotic fluid. For polyhydramnios, another maternal issue can be pre- eclampsia. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ05nCZxOAc A video to describe AFI like how Narges described it in lecture. 

Picture of Nailah Hollman
by Nailah Hollman - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 8:37 PM

Hey Leah, 

I agree I found this discussion board a little challenging as well. I thought you're response was great though. I found in my research and in our book (p.602) that a fetus' inability to swallow due to brain malformations that hinder motor functioning, such as Dandy Walker Syndrome (congenital abnormality of the cerebellum), can contribute to polyhydramnios because swallowing helps maintain amniotic fluid volume. It is interesting it can contribute to both poly and oligo hydramnios. 

Nice work!

Picture of Leah Borries
by Leah Borries - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 9:06 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to hear my responses made sense, sometimes I confuse myself more by the end of writing them.

Picture of Monica De Ocampo
by Monica De Ocampo - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 9:30 PM

Hey Leah,

I also struggled with this discussion post. I'm 100% sitting in the boat with you. I think It was just the one question about mechanical obstructions vs intrinsic issues that threw me for a whole whirl. I'm grateful to have google, youtube as our resources. Although, your post was very thorough! I love it. You distinguish and organize what different types of pathologies that can occur with too little or too much amniotic fluid. This makes a great note for flashcards! 

Picture of Paris Colunga
by Paris Colunga - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 1:46 PM

Hey Leah,

You mention 2% solids in the amniotic fluid. Sometimes you can even see the little floaters! Do you know what this is called?

Picture of Leah Borries
by Leah Borries - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 9:16 PM

Is that vernix?

Picture of Karen Chow
by Karen Chow - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 11:01 PM

Hi Leah,

When I saw that I was like, what is that?! So I looked it up, and saw an article here about floaters in AF! Sometimes it is vernix, sometimes fetal poop!

Not sure if this was what Paris was asking though, as both vernix and meconium may be seen when fetus is very far along and developed.

https://www.ultrasound-images.com/amniotic-fluid/

-Karen

Picture of Chrishawna Porter
by Chrishawna Porter - Monday, 18 January 2021, 7:30 PM

Amniotic fluid serves an essential purpose for the growing fetus, just as water does to human life. It's important that the levels are balanced to ensure the conceptus is receiving just the right amounts. After all,you can have too much of a good thing. 

If too much amniotic fluid is present we run the risk of the fetus developing polyhydramnios which may lead to preterm labor or a malpositioned fetus in the womb. On the other spectrum, if the fluid levels are too low the conceptus could have oligohydramnios.

One major complication associated with oligohydramnios is underdeveloped fetal lungs since amniotic fluid supports growth.

When it comes to polyhydramnios there are multiple potential causes, one of which is maternal influences. Some of these include maternal diabetes, infection occurring during the course of the pregnancy, or even RH incompatibility. If polyhydramnios is not caused by the mother it could be a result of fetal abnormalities. In this instance the fetus may have difficulty ingesting the fluids due to an obstruction or malfunction within its cranial activity.

Similar factors can apply to oligohydramnios as well. If there is a ruptured membrane and fluid has the ability to seep out or if the baby is able to consume the amniotic fluid but has a hard time excreting it due to renal agenesis or a bladder obstruction.

This is why it is extremely important to take an amniotic fluid index during the sonogram. By dividing the mother's belly into quadrants and measuring the depth of each section we can quantify the amount of amniotic fluid present. As sonographers we should know right away based on the numerical value of the quadrants if the fluid is normal or showing signs of polyhydramnios or oligohydramnios!

Heres a great video that explains both poly and oligohydramnios in an easy to remember way! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjN83EyWd6s

by Zulema Hernandez - Monday, 18 January 2021, 8:34 PM

Hi Crishawna! 

Great job on your post! Thank you for sharing the YouTube link. What's something that the video helped you better understand? For me, it really helped me better understand why maternal diabetes may cause polyhydramnios! 

by Chrishawna Porter - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 10:38 AM

Hi Zuly!

So glad you enjoyed the video, as a visual learner this type of content is my lifeline! A lot of the information he shared was very similar to Dr. Wilsons' lecture for this week. Sometimes hearing the information multiple times in different ways helps me to lock it in. I enjoyed the pathophysiology he shared about polyhydramnios and oligohydramnios but felt that some information was a little beyond the scope of what we covered thus far. He mentions that polyhydramnios can be caused by the fetus having difficulty swallowing. He then goes on to mention that the inability to swallow could be a result of developmental delays within the fetal gastrointestinal tract including a tracheoesophageal fistula or even duodenal atresia. While it is important to understand the possible causes it may be more information than we need at present, but was interesting to learn about.

Picture of Allison Wine
by Allison Wine - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 12:06 PM

Hey Chrishawna,

Such a great video. Very easy to follow!! I noticed it went into depth on oligohydramnios. I did not know that amniotic fluid had such a signification role in lung development. If there isn't enough fluid pulmonary hypoplasia can occur. I did a little more research and found a great article on amniotic fluid and lung development.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S187595721630062

Also in regards to the polyhydramnious I did see a sonographic sign "double bubble" in relation to duodenal atresia. 

by Monica De Ocampo - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 9:32 PM

The images that you find are gold, Allison! 

Thank you for sharing this.

Picture of Paris Colunga
by Paris Colunga - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 1:47 PM

Great job! It plays a HUGE role in lung development!

by Nailah Hollman - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 8:53 PM

Hello Ms. Chrishawna, 

Thank you for sharing this video. It was great! Nice and straightforward! I may have to look deeper into this speaker to see what other videos he has available. As I was researching I also saw that brain malformations that hinder motor movement can result in the baby having difficulty swallowing. One example that came up is Dandy Walker Syndrome, which is a congenital malformation of the cerebellum. Which makes sense because the cerebellum assists in motor movement.  

I also really enjoyed the POTTER pneumonic!

Great job!

Picture of Candee Lam
by Candee Lam - Monday, 18 January 2021, 8:36 PM

There are multiple factors that may affect the levels of amniotic fluid such as maternal factors or fetal factors. The varying levels of AF is called polyhydramnios which is when fluids are really high. This can be seen when there is more than 2000 -3000 ml in the 3rd trimester and an indicator of possible fetal abnormality. A cause for this is when the fetus is unable to absorb as much fluid as being produced however 50% of the time it is unknown as to why this is caused. Maternal causes include diabetes , RH incompatibility, or pre-eclampsia. When a large amount of AF is produced PROM can happen which is also known as premature rupture of membrane. I saw this in clinicals!!! (The patients water ruptured early and there was no AF surrounding the baby)  

Low levels of amniotic fluid is called oligohydramnios when there is less than 500 ml of amniotic fluid. (I am not sure what trimester this would be considered low in) Some causes of this is premature rupture of membranes or intrauterine growth restriction. Some fetal causes are structural urinary abnormalities which is renal genesis and renal obstruction. 

To measure amniotic fluid the sonographer should separate the uterus into four cavities and measure the largest part of fluid from AP in each quadrant. This is called AFI (amniotic fluid index) Color should be thrown on to ensure there is not umbilical cord in the anechoic space. After adding all of these up I believe they should come to about 8 cm and polyhydramnios is about 20 cm. I hope I answered these questions correctly and thoroughly please let me know if I missed anything. 

by Brittany Lopes - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 9:51 AM

Hi Candee!

Wow that is incredible, yet sad, that you already saw a case of PROM at clinicals! Were you able to follow this patient's case and see how they proceeded with her care? Also, do you know how far along she was in her pregnancy? I'm living vicariously through all of you that are at clinicals!

You also make a great point about using color Doppler to find the umbilical cord when doing AFI measurements, which I also noted in one of my responses. This makes me curious though because I know we are not to place color or PW Doppler on a first trimester fetus. Perhaps there is another way of assessing amniotic fluid when the pregnancy is still in the early stages? Maybe something involving the mean gestational sac diameter? Let me know if you happen to come across any information :) 

Picture of Candee Lam
by Candee Lam - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 2:56 PM

I haven't been able to follow up on the patient but I remember her saying that her two previous pregnancies were completely normal so she was thrown off when her water broke so early. When we scanned the baby, everything seemed fine and the baby just seemed a bit compressed. I believe she was 26 weeks! I will definitely follow up with my CI and let you know. I asked Narges what happens with these babies and she said it depends of every case so it is hard to say. 

Your point of not putting on color during the first trimester is a good point. Mean gestational sac is a good suggestion. I believe it was Dr. Wilson who said after a while you will be able to tell if AF is out of proportion. So, maybe you wouldn't use color with AFI unless it was an extreme case? Will research!

by Zulema Hernandez - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 8:24 PM

Great post Candee! Brittany made a great question to your post as well.

Since I believe 1st trimester is considered weeks 1-12, and 2nd  trimester is 13-26, would the patient in Candee's example be 2nd trimester? Would this make it okay to put color Doppler on the fetus? I haven't seen my clinical site use color Doppler on 1st trimester, but they also get the AFI requests further along in the pregnancy. Definitely something we need to confirm with Dr. Wilson! 

Picture of Paris Colunga
by Paris Colunga - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 1:51 PM

Hey Brittany,

First trimester measurements are different than second/third trimester. The reason we are allowed to use color when assessing the amniotic fluid is because there should be nothing in the image other than fluid. That's the point of color. We are assuring the physician that there's nothing but fluid. If there were, the color would light it up and our measurement would be less accurate.

by Brittany Lopes - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 4:28 PM

Ahhh makes sense! Thank you for this explanation.

Picture of Karen Chow
by Karen Chow - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 11:05 PM

Hi Candee!

I want to say that it is great that you got to see PROM so that you know now what to look for, but that is just so sad and scary for baby and mother. 

It is interesting that you mentioned putting color for AFI, as we know that you shouldn't put color on baby unless absolutely necessary. However, I suppose if you could make sure fetus is not in field of view? I did observe a gestational sac/ yolk sac scan where color was put on very much near it, but not on it... it still made me flinch! I wonder what are the specific guidelines for "near" fetus! Haha

Karen

Picture of Candee Lam
by Candee Lam - Monday, 18 January 2021, 8:41 PM

This is a picture of Oligohydrmanios, I found one for PROM but for some reason it won't show when I upload basically it looks like a baby with NO surrounding fluid. 

Picture of Molly McCain
by Molly McCain - Monday, 18 January 2021, 9:07 PM

The amniotic fluid is such a vital aspect of a thriving fetus. Amniotic fluid is produced by the kidneys and is ingested by the fetus. The amount of production and reabsorption must be equally maintained in order for proper function to occur. If production or reabsorption isn’t consistent then problems unfortunately occur. If the fetus is having difficulty digesting the amniotic fluid then there will be polyhydramnios, which is an abundance amount of amniotic fluid around the fetus. Polyhydramnios usually indicates an abnormality or the baby could just be large for gestational age. A lot of maternal health problems can contribute to Polyhydramnios such as diabetes, congestive heart failure, and sometimes even preeclampsia. It stated about 30% of the time polyhydramnios was related to a fetal abnormality such as cerebral or GI issue.

On the other hand Oligohydramnios is a lack of amniotic fluid with only about 500ml, which tells us something is wrong. It may be premature ruptured membranes which would also bring a possible increase of infection and fetal demise. Also oligohydramnios is also seen with IUGR which isn’t allowing the baby to do well; The baby often can’t swallow and no fluid is being produced with this condition. Many other conditions could cause a lack of amniotic fluid such as an absence of a kidney, polycystic kidney disease, or any renal obstruction, since the renals play a huge role with the production of amniotic fluid.

It's incredibly important to measure the amniotic fluid index by calculating the amounts of fluid in each pocket free of any objects such as the umbilical cord or fetal parts. One must measure the amniotic fluid in a perpendicular plane in four different quadrants by evenly dividing the maternal belly within 4 sections with an imaginary line. Measuring the biggest pockets and adding them up will determine the amount of amniotic fluid that’s present. A normal range would be about 8cm and polyhydramnios would be considered with a measurement of 20 and 25cm.

Image found of oligohydramnios.

Image found of polyhydramnios.

by Zulema Hernandez - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 8:50 PM

Hi Molly! Fantastic summary of this weeks topic!
The photos you posted really show the stark contrast between oligohydramnios and polyhydramnios. I came across  this neat mnemonic for oligohydramnios causes that I liked.

Causes of Oligohydramnios

Picture of Hailey Indelicato
by Hailey Indelicato - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 11:49 PM

Hi Zuly,

I just wanted to say I like this image! I wonder if they have one for Poly?

Picture of Candee Lam
by Candee Lam - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 12:13 PM

Hi Hailey! I saw another post for polyhydramnios and it was

"ADAMTS"
Anencephaly, Diabetes (Maternal), Aneuploidy, Monozygotic Twins, Tumor (chorioangioma of placenta), Spinabifida

"DEF"
Duodenal atresia, Esophageal atresia, Facial Clefts 

Hope this helps

by Hailey Indelicato - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 6:27 PM

thanks so much candee!

by Monica De Ocampo - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 10:31 PM

Hi Molly!

Its so interesting to know that polyhydramnios is also related to the fetal cerebral issues as well! I didn't know that! I was talking with another tech about this weeks discussion post, since I definitely struggled with this one. It's nice how you also listed the amount of fluid for  oligohydramnios and polyhydramnios. It gives me the perception of much fluid is really in there with fetus within the uterus. Your discussion post was really thorough, if you have any additional resources that you used, I would love some incite! 

Great post (-:

Picture of Lauren Brodehl
by Lauren Brodehl - Friday, 22 January 2021, 10:34 PM

Hi Molly! Your response really got me thinking since you listed the causes and issues of both polyhydramnios and oligohydramnios so well! I'm curious now if one is "better" to have that the other in the case of abnormal AF levels... I think if I had to guess I would say polyhydramnios seems easier to maintain and also is caused by less serious complications. Oligohydramnios can be an indicator for renal agenesis, which I know we have gone over in both lecture classes as incompatible with life!

Picture of Allison Wine
by Allison Wine - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 11:30 AM

Discuss what factors might cause the amniotic fluid levels to be too high or too low and how the various levels could affect the developing fetus.

Amniotic fluid is secreted from the cells that line the amnion in the first trimester. Around 12 weeks gestation the fetal kidneys start to take over and begin to produce fluid. The fetus starts to ingest the fluid and secretes fluid as well. These processes should be somewhat equal. Fluid in equals fluid out. If they are not cycling at equal rates then polyhydramnios (too high) or conversely oligohydramnios(too low) may occur. Polyhydramnios or too much fluid can occur if the fetus is having problems ingesting or swallowing the fluid. If the fetus cannot ingest the fluid, the fluid will build up within the amniotic cavity. Ogliohydramnios on the other hand may occur when the fetal kidneys are having problems. If the kidneys are not functioning properly, amniotic fluid isn’t being made and therefore isn’t being secreted. If the developing fetus has too much or too little fluid this could be problematic for their development. Proper amniotic fluid levels aid in fetal temperature, biochemical homeostasis, allows for fetal movement and fetal growth.

Discuss the idea behind mechanical obstructions vs intrinsic issues that might affect amniotic fluid volumes. Why or how do fluid volumes help sonographers better assess rather quickly and subjectively the overall "feel" of the amniotic cavity. What might be the consequences to a pregnancy with too much or too little fluid? 

Mechanical obstructions are structures within the fetal body that aren’t formed properly that as a result block fluid from entering the fetus. For instance, if the baby can’t swallow or has an obstruction in the esophagus or a GI malformation it cannot ingest the fluid resulting in polyhydramnios. However polyhydramnios can occur intrinsically when there is a cranial abnormality. The fetal parts may be fully developed but the fetal brain is not signaling the fetus to swallow and ingest the fluid.

Fluid volumes help sonographers better assess the overall “feel” of the amniotic cavity by indicating certain abnormalities with polyhydramnios and oligohydramnios. If you see the fetus somewhat floating around you might suspect polyhydramnios. As a sonographer you should think to check for a blockage, infection, cranial issue or circulatory abnormalities as these might be consequences from the excessive fluid. Also check to see if the mother has diabetes or preeclampsia. If you are scanning and find it hard to see the fetus you can suspect oligohydramnios. Consequences of low fluid may be due to a rupture in membranes, fetal demise, IUGR, and renal pathology 

Here is an image showing an issue with the fetal cranium which resulted in polyhydramnios. 

Here is the video that goes along with the image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmcKqMV5RbY

by Zulema Hernandez - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 9:16 PM

Hi Allison! I love that you mentioned that with polyhydramnios the fetus can appear to be "floating around", I tried finding a video of this but didn't have much luck, however I did find this video with a useful mnemonic for the causes of polyhydramnios!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Tcnfonw9Q

"ADAMTS"
Anencephaly, Diabetes (Maternal), Aneuploidy, Monozygotic Twins, Tumor (chorioangioma of placenta), Spinabifida

"DEF"
Duodenal atresia, Esophageal atresia, Facial Clefts

by Hailey Indelicato - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 11:57 PM

Hi Allison!

I'm really enjoying your post, I was actually not sure about the intrinsic and mechanical question but after looking at how you explained it and going back to my notes it makes more sense! you explained everything so well, I could easily follow along and understand. 

I found this website that has questions and answers on polyhydrominos

https://www.contemporaryobgyn.net/view/evaluation-and-management-polyhydramnios

Picture of Leah Borries
by Leah Borries - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 9:24 PM

Hi Allison,

Great response, you always explain things so well! I actually just posted this same image in response to Zuly's post in a discussion on anencephaly. In reading more about the pathology [link], I learned about the role of ultrasound specifically in diagnosis. In ABD, we learned about the Mickey Mouse sign for the portal triad in the liver. Apparently, there is a "Mickey Mouse ears" with anencephaly too (image below). The site also highlighted how diagnosis with ultrasound is quite accurate, especially if the sonographer can get a view of the fetal face. Just another reason why our diligence and attention to detail is so important in providing exceptional patient care.

mickey mouse

Picture of Ramandeep Singh
by Ramandeep Singh - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 7:17 PM

Amniotic fluids plays a very vital role during pregnancy; it protects the fetus, helps with long development and allows the fetus to move around. During the first trimester, the cells that line the amnion secrete amniotic fluid and after about 12 weeks the fetal kidneys start producing the fluid as well via urination. There has to be an equilibrium maintained between the rate of production and ingestion of amniotic fluid by the fetus otherwise many problems can occur. The normal range for amniotic fluid is about 8 centimeters once we add up all the four quadrants. 20 to 25 cm means polyhydramnios, which means there is too much amniotic fluid present. One case of this condition could be that the baby is having issues ingesting the amniotic fluid around it so the fluid is just building up instead of being reabsorbed. Also, sometimes maternal causes such as diabetes and preeclampsia could be the cause of excess amniotic fluid. On the other hand, oligohydramnios is when amniotic fluid is less than 5cm This can be caused by membrane rupture which causes the fluid to leak out and even an issue with the fetal kidney causing an obstruction. With too much amniotic fluid, I fear that maybe the placental cord can get compressed and that is how the fetus receives all its nutrients so it can be detrimental. For too little amniotic fluid, the baby would not be able to move around and no input into the kidneys could lead to developmental issues in them.

Polyhydramnios:  

Polyhydramnios | Radiology Key

Oligohydramnios:

Ultrasound Funny Quotes. QuotesGram

Picture of Molly McCain
by Molly McCain - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 7:55 PM

Hi Raman! 
Your post is great and easy to follow. I’m glad we will now be aware about oligohydramnios and polyhydramnios to have in our minds while scanning OB cases. It seems like they are both serious and bring along their own troubles during fetal development.  If there is not a substantial amount of amniotic fluid then clearly the baby's kidneys aren’t functioning correctly nor are the lungs. I read that if a baby developed oligohydramnios after 23-24 weeks then its prognosis is better than a baby that developed it sooner than that because of their lungs being adequately developed. Pulmonary hypoplasia could occur in a baby who developed oligohydramnios prior to 23 weeks. 
Here’s an image of a baby that was underdeveloped with pulmonary hypoplasia from having oligohydramnios. Can see just how the baby‘s lungs are affected.

Picture of Paris Colunga
by Paris Colunga - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 1:54 PM

HUGE concept! Fetal lung development and amniotic fluid.

Picture of Lania Black
by Lania Black - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 11:57 PM

Hi Molly!

Great image and explanation! Lung development is soooo important! It always intrigues me that we're creatures made to survive from breathing air but while in the womb we rely on fluid to properly develop our lungs! Such a strange concept to me. I also find it super interesting how newborns are able to adapt so quickly from living and breathing in only fluids to exiting the womb and being able to adjust to breathing air! We truly are amazing and beautifully made!

Picture of Karen Chow
by Karen Chow - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 8:28 PM

Hi Raman,

Great job with the images to add on to your response! The poor baby in oligohydramnios picture... it looks so compacted in there. It's a no brainer that it would suppress movement, kidney function, even development. 

You mentioned the way your site measures for AFI. Have you seen any of these cases yet at clinicals? Are you able to tell right away if the amniotic fluid volume is off?

Thanks!

Karen

by Ramandeep Singh - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 6:02 PM

Honestly I thought I saw a case yesterday that looked like that but I was wrong. I am not there yet but I have started measuring the deep vertical pocket way so hopefully one day I can tell just by looking at it. 

by Zulema Hernandez - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 9:47 PM

Hi Raman!

I love the photos that you included. They do a great job of demonstrating how the AFI measurements should have the calipers aligned in a straight vertical line. Sometimes I've noticed the fluid pockets are very irregular shaped, and don't necessarily lend themselves to this, but I've seen the techs at my site sometimes place the calipers closer together in order to get the straight measurement. Do they do the same thing at your site? I wonder if it affects the final AFI, or if it's fine as long as we are WNL?

by Ramandeep Singh - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 6:00 PM

So at our site I saw one tech measure all four quadrants but the majority do what we call deep vertical pocket assessment. Basically you hold the probe completely sag to the patient and you look around laterally (like imagine the belly being a square) and see which of the four quadrants has the most fluid. Then, you only measure that specific quadrant and you go both transverse and sag on that pocket and measure only up and down. Make sure to use color so that you. are not including the placental cord in your measurement. I did that today for the first time so yayyy :) If the measurement is less than 2cm that measn oligohydraminos and a pocket more than 8cm is indicative of polyhydraminos. 

by Nailah Hollman - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 8:09 PM

Beyond 20 weeks the fetus helps maintain fluid volume by swallowing amniotic fluid. Polyhydraminos can occur when a fetal anomaly is present that prevents the fetus’ motor movement of swallowing. Possible anomalies include: GI obstructions, facial tumors, and Dandy-Walker syndrome (cerebellum malformation). Maternal contributions to polyhydraminos include diabetes and uremia. The volume of amniotic fluid becomes highly dependent on fetal output; the fetus can produce 450ml of urine per day (p. 602). Without proper genitourinary system functions, such as renal agenesis or an obstruction in the urinary tract, the fetus is unable secrete fluids resulting in oligiohydraminos. Premature prelabor rupture of membranes (PPROM) also can result in oligiohydraminos. To my understanding in this case the amniotic fluid may essentially be loosing its volume through the rupture. Amniotic fluid plays a crucial role in fetal development of lungs, digestive system, skeletal muscles, and bones. Considering this oligiohydraminos can hinder growth in each of these areas. This highlights the importance of the sonographer properly assessing the AFI (in four quadrants), an AFI of less than 5.0 cm is a concern. In addition, I found it interesting that the amniotic fluid can appear echogenic due to vernix caseosa (p. 601). Vernix caseosa is essentially a coating that protects the fetus’ skin. 

Here’s some interesting reads that discuss amniotic fluid:

https://fetalmedicine.org/education/fetal-abnormalities/amniotic-fluid/oligohydramnios

https://teachmeobgyn.com/pregnancy/fetal-abnormality/oligohydramnios/

And Vernix Caseosa:

https://www.healthline.com/health/pregnancy/vernix-caseosa

Picture of Molly McCain
by Molly McCain - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 9:20 PM

Hi Nailiah!

Great post and I really enjoyed checking out the resources you posted. The article on oligohydramnios was super helpful. One of them stated how pulmonary hypoplasia can cause renal agenesis, multi-cystic or polycystic kidneys and how those are lethal abnormalities. I remember Dr. Wilson's lecture on those diagnoses and how they lead to poor outcomes. It is really helpful to read about again to make it stick because this topic is so important to fully understand while in the field. I read that usually a baby with renal agenesis inherits that from their mother who has renal abnormalities herself. 

Thank you for sharing!

by Nailah Hollman - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 8:56 PM

Hey Molly girl,

I am glad you enjoyed the resources. That is so interesting that babies typically develop renal abnormalities from a mom with a previous history. So interesting! Thank you for sharing that ! 

by Zulema Hernandez - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 9:38 PM

Hi Nailah and Molly!

I agree this is a very important topic, and I loved the recourses you shared Nailah. I noticed the first article mention that follow up for oligohydramnios may include doing an ultrasound scan every 1-3 weeks to monitor amniotic fluid levels. I've definitely seen this done at my cliinical site, there's a few OB patients that are being watched for low fluid levels, so the order will specifically ask for AFI. So far scanning AFI for me is a little tricky because of fetal movement at times and trying to make sure I have  the deepest pocket without fetal parts, but it's rewarding knowing we're part of the patients care! 

Picture of Karen Chow
by Karen Chow - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 10:56 PM

The amniotic fluid is a very critical part of fetal development. The AF helps cushion, lubricate and nourish the fetus. The fluid also is a space where the fetus can freely grow and learn muscle and motor skills while moving around. It is no wonder that too much or too little could be catastrophic.

When there is too little AF, this is known as oligohydramnios, and is usually caused by premature ruptured membranes, poor fetal growth, post-term pregnancy, problems with urinary tract development, drugs, etc. This would be discovered either by ultrasound or actual leaking fluid. This would require delivering the baby asap or amniotransfusion. During the first 6 months of pregnancy this can cause stillbirth, birth defects, miscarriage, and premature birth.

Where there is too much AF this is called polyhydramnios, typically caused by maternal diabetes, GI or swallowing problems of the fetus, or possibly even heart problems or infection of fetus. Mother could take medications to treat, or get amnioreduction, or deliver the baby. Severe polyhydramnios can cause malposition, premature birth, ruptured membranes, umbilical cord prolapse, heavy bleeding during birth, and even fetal demise.

Sonographers measure the AFI to check for fluid level, but a seasoned sonographer may just be able to tell right away after a quick sweep whether fluid levels look "off."

I found a great short video that explains more about amniotic fluid and its composition (is this the same guy as in Sue's videos?? I can't tell haha):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjD9Ky4zFME&ab_channel=TodayIFoundOut

by Hailey Indelicato - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 11:49 PM

Hi Karen!

Loving your post, very easy to follow. You mentioned measuring the AF, why do you think its important to not include cord in the measurements? 

Picture of Allison Wine
by Allison Wine - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 12:39 PM

Hey Karen, 

Great post. I am not sure if you have seen polyhydramnios or ogliohydramnois in clinic yet but what do you think a sweep would look like if the levels were "off"? I have been watching some videos of normal levels and of poly and it seems like with poly you see double the amount of anechoic area and it surrounds the entire fetus. Whereas normal there is anechoic pockets but fluid to baby ratio is more equal. 

Here is a really good scan of normal: (she explains very well how to better see cord (gain and color) and that you want to take the measurements somewhat rapidly before the baby moves) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHCeerVhMDU

Here you can see a video of a poly scan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzH8BzM7Q8c

Picture of Karen Chow
by Karen Chow - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 6:04 PM

Hi Allison, Unfortunately I haven't seen any ob scans past 6 weeks yet! That was a great video of polyhydramnios, it confirmed my guess of a huge fluid cavity. Thank you!

Hi Hailey, all I could find regarding umbilical cord in AFI measurement was that we must ensure we do not include any fetal parts or umbilical cord to get the most accurate measurement. Accurate measurements will help diagnose any problems that could arise, and we as sonographers need to make sure we are accurate! The pressure! Haha

Karen

by Zulema Hernandez - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 9:59 PM

Hi Karen!

Great job on your post and fantastic conversation here! I found it really interesting that the video you linked mentioned that towards the end of the pregnancy, the fetus can ingest up to 15 oz of fluid per day! You mentioned you haven't yet scanned OB that's further along, what questions do you think you might have for your CI about amniotic fluid scanning once you are able to scan it?

by Ramandeep Singh - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 7:45 PM

Hi Karen, 

I saw a sonographer measure the AFI fluid and she said to put color on the quadrant before measuring to make sure the cord is not included. Also, we measure the fluid at my site after 24 weeks. I never really thought about what an important role amniotic fluid can play. Good job. 

by Lauren Brodehl - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 8:53 PM

Thank you so much for mentioning amnioreduction and amnio transfusion! I hadn't heard of these before, so I did a little research on it. An amnioreduction is basically an amniocentesis for the purpose of removing larger amounts of extra AF. An amnio transfusion was the interesting one; in a single pregnancy, saline or something similar is injected into the amnion to make up for the missing AF. It is also often used in monochorionic pregnancies with Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome, where one twin "donates" blood to the other, thus creating an imbalance in AF! I linked the article, it is very interesting!

Twin To Twin Transfusion Syndrome (TTTS) Treatment (childrensmn.org)

by Hailey Indelicato - Tuesday, 19 January 2021, 11:12 PM

Polyhydramnios, too much amniotic fluid, could be caused for a plethora of reasons but <50% are idiopathic. Causes can come from the maternal aspect and others from the fetal aspect. Some maternal causes can be diabetes, RH incompatibility, preeclampsia, etc. Fetal causes can be, multiple gestation, grossly malformed fetus, Circulatory abnormalities, the fetus can't absorb the fluid, and more. This can lead to preterm labor or PROM (premature rupture of membranes)

Oligohydramnios, too little amniotic fluid, is present when there is less than 500ml of fluid seen. Some causes are PROM, IUGR, Structural urinary abnormalities, post maturity/post term pregnancy, fetal demise and more. It can lead to increased risk of infection, fetal demise, and this website mentions other complications like cerebral palsy, preterm birth, and cord compression.

https://www.abclawcenters.com/practice-areas/prenatal-birth-injuries/maternal-medical-conditions/oligohydramnios/

Mechanical obstructions affecting AF levels can be obstruction in the duodenum or esophagus, which isn't allowing the fetus to swallow, thus not ingesting the fluid which can lead to either polyhydramnios or oligohydramnios, it can also be caused from renal issues because not enough fluid will be made. Intrinsic issues have to do with cranial abnormalities that also prohibit the fetus from swallowing.  

Measuring amniotic fluid is extremely important, all four quadrants from be measured perpendicular to the lay of the belly, free of cord at the deepest part. Adding up all four should equal to around 8-24 cm. The right amount of fluid provides a window to see the fetus, it would be obvious to the sonographer that theres too little fluid just by that aspect. I saw this today in clinic, 34 weeks with no fluid and it was difficult to get a good window to measure babies head. 

Polyhydramnios (Excessive Amniotic Fluid) and Birth Injuries

by Chrishawna Porter - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 1:27 PM

Hi Hailey,

Well done on your response, I found it to be very thorough and easy to follow! To add on to what you mentioned regarding amniotic fluid index, Sue had said that none of the four quadrants should exceed 6cm, which makes sense since 6cm X 4 quadrants would give us 24cm, and a baby that likely has polyhydramnios. This had me wondering if the volume in each quadrant could be significantly different or if they would all have similar depths? Heres a cool image to track the severity of polyhydramnios!

by Hailey Indelicato - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 6:31 PM

Hi Chrishawna! that would make sense thank you for adding that!

when I watched dome biophysical profiles in clinic my tech said the quadrants will all be different because the baby is moving around, if you take all measurements and it doesn't add up to the correct and safe amount we must go back and check again because the baby could have moved and skewed our measurements! 

by Zulema Hernandez - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 10:10 PM

Hi Hailey!

Great job on your response and thank you for adding n the information your CI gave about the fetus moving and how it can affect AFI! On the preliminary reports at my site, the techs just fill out a section documenting if oligohydramnios or polyhydramnios is present, but I haven't seen them reference a chart like the one Chrishawna posted, although I find it very informative!! How is it done in your site? 

by Hailey Indelicato - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 7:43 PM

Hi Zuli!

I'm assuming my cite is the same because we're both at Sutter's! I didn't get to see it but I brought home all the worksheets today so I'm sure I will figure it out! 

Picture of Sarah Swager
by Sarah Swager - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 7:53 PM

Howdy Friends,

Amniotic fluid basics: Amniotic fluid volume is increased in the first trimester (made by cells lining amnion) and second trimester (12 weeks, made mostly by fetal kidneys via urine), and it tends to slightly decrease in the third trimester. This fluid should always exist around a developing fetus. Vernix (cells/secretions) can be seen floating in amniotic fluid.

Possible causes of oligohydramnios (<500mL): Membrane rupture/leak, intrauterine growth restriction, renal agenesis/obstruction

Possible results of oligohydramnios: Fetal demise, high likelihood of infection

Possible causes of polyhydramnios: Fetal: Inability to swallow to due to mechanical or intrinsic issue, GI anomalies, neural tube defects. Maternal: diabetes, pre-eclampsia (sometimes), congestive heart failure, and infections. Possible due to multiple gestations, a malformed fetus, teratomas, etc.

Possible results of polyhydramnios: Fetal malposition, maternal breathing issues, premature birth, stillbirth.

Intrinsic issues: Trouble swallowing amniotic fluid due to neurological/cognitive issues

Mechanical issues: Trouble swallowing due to obstruction or inability to absorb the fluid

This page on Mayoclinic was helpful. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/polyhydramnios/symptoms-causes/syc-20368493

Sarah

by Zulema Hernandez - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 7:23 PM

Hi Sarah!

Great job on your post. Have you had any clinical cases so far that have helped you visualize amniotic fluid and get an idea of what is "too much" or "too little"? Sometimes I feel like the fetal movements and being unable to visualize all of the amniotic fluid at once, makes it tricky to get an idea if it's WNL.

by Lauren Brodehl - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 8:15 PM

Amniotic fluid is vital to a developing fetus and successfully carrying a pregnancy to term. The amount of amniotic fluid surrounding the fetus can differ from normal, and it is important for the sonographer to know what each fluid sign can signal in the developing fetus.

Polyhydramnios is when there is excess (above 24cm)  amniotic fluid around the fetus. 50% of polyhydramnios is of unknown origin. Some maternal causes are diabetes, congestive heart failure, and infections. Sometimes (30%) the issue is a fetal abnormality such as the fetus cannot swallow, making the intake of amniotic fluid into the fetus impossible. Polyhydramnios can lead to a premature birth or malpositioned fetus.

On the other hand, oligohydramnios is when there is not enough (<500ml) amniotic fluid. This may be from a premature rupture of the membrane, which could lead to infection or fetal demise. IUGR may cause oligohydramnios as well since they do not thrive as they should. Urinary abnormalities in the fetus can lead to oligohydramnios since the fetus takes amniotic fluid in through swallowing and it must go through the renals and urinary system to be sent out once again. Renal agenesis, bladder obstructions, or ureteroceles are some fetal urinary issues that may lead to oligo. Due to the absence of enough amniotic fluid, infection, urinary defects, PROM, or even demise may occur.  

If I am understanding correctly, a mechanical obstruction may be things such as baby not swallowing correctly leading to polyhyrdamnios, while intrinsic factors may be cranial abnormalities that lead to development not proceeding as normal. I would love some more information on mechanical vs. intrinsic because I'm pretty sure I'm not understanding it completely!

Amniotic fluid levels help the sonographer to understand the feel of the amniotic cavity because it quickly and easily signals the health of the fetus not only in the uterus, but the health of its developing organs and further development outside the womb even. Both too much and too little amniotic fluid points to abnormalities that can be examined and detected prior to delivery just by checking the fluid around the fetus, so it is important to measure and be able to identify when it looks abnormal.

by Zulema Hernandez - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 7:39 PM

Hi Lauren!

Great job on your post. I found these images helpful to better understand how ureteroceles appear on ultrasound! How do you think these can cause oligohydramnios? 
https://radiopaedia.org/cases/ureterocele-fetal-2?lang=us

Ureterocele: Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment - Urology Care Foundation 

by Lauren Brodehl - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 8:43 PM

Ah thank you for the images! I think ureterocele would lead to oligohydramnios since the fetus is still ingesting the amniotic fluid, but as Paris mentioned, it does not pee it back out due to the bladder jet being obstructed by the ureterocele! So the fluid is going into the fetus from the amniotic sac but is not returning to the sac after going through the urinary system.

by Monica De Ocampo - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 9:23 PM

• Amniotic fluid is what fills the amniotic cavity. It surrounds the developing fetus like a cushion and prevents adhesions. During the first and second trimester the amniotic fluid will be increased. Although, during the third trimester, the fluid will decrease. Amniotic fluid is produced by the cells that line the amnion during the first trimester. However, most of the amniotic fluid is then produced from urination once the fetus has developed their kidney function. 

• Mechanical obstructions may indicate a problem with the fetus gastrointestinal tract. A decreased or sudden stop of AF flow in the intestine can cause it to dilate. Intrinsic issues, problem relating to inherent, are when/ if the mother is experiencing hypertension, dehydration, or diabetes, etc. All these issues on the mother can affect the fetal amniotic fluid levels. Fluid volumes help sonographers better assess rather quickly and subjectively the overall "feel" of the amniotic cavity because too much or too little within the 4 quadrants around the fetus is alarming and should lead them to look/sweep through for other developmental issues in the fetus. When the volume of amniotic fluid is too low, it is called oligohydramnios. Oligohydrmnios can cause an distinct compression of the fetal organs and may also cause the risk of having a preterm birth. When the volume of the amniotic fluid is too high, it is called polyhydramnios. Polyhydramnios may increase the chances of a preterm labor and/or a premature rupture of the membranes (PROM).

https://www.ucsfbenioffchildrens.org/conditions/fetal_bowel_obstruction/

https://www.premierhealth.com/your-health/articles/women-wisdom-wellness-/amniotic-fluid-too-much-or-too-little#:~:text=Issues%20with%20the%20mother%3A%20Hypertension,can%20affect%20amniotic%20fluid%20levels.

I definitely STRUGGLED with this discussion post. The resources above helped me out, I hope it can do the same for you!

by Chrishawna Porter - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 2:09 PM

Hi Monica!

I agree this week we learned so many new concepts that it can be hard at times to keep them all straight, then add knowledge from your clincial site and that's enough to make anyones head spin! I reviewed the two links you shared and they both have great information. One more resource you may want to consider is linked below. It is the official website for all things polyhydramnios and I found it has the information of many different resources all within one website. I think its a great tool to lock in this topic!

https://polyhydramnios.org/polyhydramnios-in-pregnancy/

by Zulema Hernandez - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 7:48 PM

Hi Monica and Chrishawna!

I agree there is definitely a lot we are learning but you're doing fantastic and both shared great links! Chrishawna, I enjoyed the way the link you shared concisely summarized polyhydramnios including causes, symptoms, and risks associated with it.

Monica, what symptoms do you think might be associated with polyhydramnios that we can look out for in addition to our scan of amniotic fluid?

by Monica De Ocampo - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 10:06 PM

Thank you for sharing that link Chrishawna! That was super helpful!

Zuly, polyhydramnios is usually detected in the third trimester. You would typically find this with the presence of fetal malposition or swelling in the lower extremities/ abd wall 

Picture of Sarah Swager
by Sarah Swager - Friday, 22 January 2021, 10:28 PM

Monica,

Thank you for the links! I think we all struggled with this one but it's an extremely important concept.

I posted this video to another comment but I think it's helpful - so here it is again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHCeerVhMDU

Sarah

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 9:27 PM

The presence of too much amniotic fluid (> 2,000 mL)  is called polyhydramnios. Causes of polyhydramnios can be attributed to complications with the mother, the fetus or an unknown cause. Some maternal issues that can lead to polyhydramnios are blood type mismatches (Rh) and pre-eclampsia. Some fetal causes of polyhydramnios are a congenital blockage of the GI tract and anemia. Polyhydramnios causes the mother’s uterus to enlarge, which can displace and compress other organs in or adjacent to the abdominopelvic cavity. The risks include preterm labor, premature rupture of membranes, and placental abruption.

The lack of adequate amniotic fluid (< 500 mL) is called oligohydramnios. Its causes can include congenital anomalies with the urinary system, premature rupture of membranes, maternal dehydration and hypertension. Some complications associated with oligohydramnios are intrauterine growth restriction, incomplete or delayed lung maturation, and fetal death. 

As seen with some of the causes listed above, there are mechanical obstructions that affect amniotic fluid volume. These include physical blockages or malformations that prevent the fetus from ingesting amniotic fluid or producing/excreting fluid, such as esophageal atresia (the upper and lower esophagus don’t fuse) or posterior urethral valve (tissue covering the urethra). Intrinsic causes of suboptimal amniotic fluid levels can be related to maternal blood. If the maternal blood supply cannot provide the nutrients and oxygen needed for the fetus to thrive, it will affect how the fetus can produce and recycle amniotic fluid. Some examples include maternal diabetes (excess blood glucose) and hypertension (decreases blood flow to placenta). 

The clinical way to estimate amniotic fluid volume is called amniotic fluid index (AFI). AFI requires the imaginary division of the uterus into four quadrants. The deepest pocket of amniotic fluid devoid of all fetal structures will be measured in cm and added together to get the AFI. Normal values range from 5 cm - 25 cm. As we scan more OB patients, I’m sure we’ll have a good eye for making snap judgments about abnormal amniotic fluid levels. We use the amniotic fluid as a window to see the fetus so we’ll be able to catch on when the window is minimized or too large. 

Here is a link to a site showing ultrasound images of abnormal amniotic fluid, including polyhydramnios and oligohydramnios. Below is one of images from a severe case of oligohydramnios. 

by Zulema Hernandez - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 7:52 PM

Hi Alexis!

Great work on your forum posts! The photos you shared are fantastic. Thank you for including the tip regarding the fetal stomaching filling within 30min! In clinic I have definitely seen the fetal stomach more fluid filled, but hadn't really thought much of it, sort of took it for granted I suppose! Have you picked up any AF scanning tips so far from your clinical site?

Picture of Sarah Swager
by Sarah Swager - Friday, 22 January 2021, 10:26 PM

Howdy Alexis,

Your reply covers everything nicely!

Getting the proper AFI was a little confusing, then I found this video a few days ago. It seems that there are a few ways of getting AFI depending on who you talk to.

We like visuals here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHCeerVhMDU

Sarah

Picture of Lania Black
by Lania Black - Wednesday, 20 January 2021, 10:12 PM

Amniotic fluid is what surrounds the baby in the amniotic cavity. The amniotic fluid is very important to the baby's health and well-being. This fluid is what helps develop the baby's limbs, lungs, digestive system, and muscles. The placenta could actually be a cause of amniotic fluid issues. If the placenta is not providing enough blood and fluid to the baby, the baby cannot recycle the fluid. the baby's kidney may also not be able to produce enough urine, which in turn means lower fluid levels. Too much amniotic fluid is called polyhydraminos, while too little amniotic fluid is called oligohydraminos. A common cause of polyhydramnios is maternal diabetes, which would cause too much fluid around the baby and be considered a high risk pregnancy. Another cause for Polyhydramnios could be a twin pregnancy. One twin could receive too much blood and nutrients while the other receives too little. In order to accurately measure the amniotic fluid volume which is known as the AFI, the sonograpgher must divide the the uterus into four quadrants and measure the largest pocket of amniotic fluid in each quadrant. I believe a normal measurement is around 8cm and Polyhydramnios is from 20cm - 25cm, which is a major difference that as sonographers we should be able to detect. I also learned today that it's important to look at the mother's cervix if there is suspicion of oligohydraminos because, the cervix could be dilated to wide or there could be an absence of a mucous plug which would cause the amniotic fluid to leak out of the cervix.

The following is a sonogram of twins with baby A suffering from oliohydraminos and baby B suffering from polyhydramnios.

by Brittany Lopes - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 4:36 PM

Hi Lania!

Wow I didn't know that oligohydraminos could be due to the amniotic fluid leaking out of the mother's cervix! That must be a scary experience for the mother. You noted that this can happen when the mucous plug, which is typically in the cervix, is missing. I wonder if there is a way for this to be corrected? Also do you know if there has to be a tear in the amniotic membrane as well to allow this fluid to leak out?

Great post!

by Zulema Hernandez - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 8:15 PM

Lania great job on your post!

Thank you for mentioning the mucus plug, I also did not know a missing plug could cause oligohydramnios, although I also have the same question as Brittany, does the amniotic membrane have to have a tear in order for this to occur?

I tried to find information on this association, but couldn't find much, however I found this page with information about the mucus plug, and it mentions that the plug can come out in bits, instead of all at once, even weeks before EDD, and amniotic fluid may leak out. I wonder if this is normal or it signals a tear in the amniotic membrane?

https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/symptoms-and-solutions/mucous-plug.aspx

mucus plug medical illustration

Picture of Lania Black
by Lania Black - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 11:48 PM

Hi Zuly! Thank you girl! And you and Brittany both posed great questions that I'm also intrigued to know the answer to! I will do some research and ask my CI as well about the membrane tear and see what she says and get back to yo both ASAP! But I love these questions we pose each other, it keeps us sharp and on our toes! ;)

Picture of Lania Black
by Lania Black - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 11:46 PM

Hey Brittany! 

That's honestly a GREAT question whether or not the membrane tears or not. I'm going to look into this and get back with you because now I'm super intrigued to find an answer! lol

Picture of Sarah Swager
by Sarah Swager - Friday, 22 January 2021, 10:18 PM

Howdy Lania,

Baby's kidneys are extremely important! Low amniotic fluid may be a sign of poor fetal kidney function. Here's a quick video on oligo/poly. I really liked how slowly/simply he presented the information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjN83EyWd6s

Sarah

Picture of Paris Colunga
by Paris Colunga - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 2:01 PM

Hey guys!

By the second trimester, amniotic fluid is basically a recycling system. The baby swallows the AF, pee's it out, and then repeats the process. It sounds gross, I know. It's always a fun little fact to tell the parents. They think it's funny!

by Hailey Indelicato - Thursday, 21 January 2021, 7:50 PM

Hi Paris! I can image how the moms react to that, today I got to connect with a soon to be mom while walking her to and from woman's health. I think I'm going to really enjoy connecting with my patients on a different level other than just scanning and sending them off. Making jokes and sharing similar stories I think really helps the patient get more comfortable with you when appropriate!