Discussion Board Week 9.............

Picture of Charissa Velasquez
Multiple Gestations
by Charissa Velasquez - Wednesday, 26 February 2020, 8:01 PM

So this week our reading is on multiple gestations and how this is an increased risk because of more than one fetus is occupying the womb and depending on when the cells divide will determine what kind of pregnancy this will be. Whether (Fraternal) dizygotic pregnancy versus (Identical) monozygotic pregnancy. It's also good timing since I saw my first twin pregnancy today and it was Di Di, had the twin peak sign. She used IVF so they were evaluating the babies. Super fascinating case!

Anyways, I wanted to dive into the anomalies specific to twin pregnancies to get a better handle on it, Also to ask questions about multiple gestations or any other anomalies we already discusses in the past. What I wish to get from this is more clarity and hope I help anyone along the way :) Feel free to comment!

For starters of multiple gestation anomalies: (Involving all monochorionic pregnancies) Crazy right?!

See the source image

-Poly -Oli sequence: I was confused by what this anomaly was and it literally tells you. Polyhydramnios and Oligohydramnios are both involved. One sac has poly while the other sac has oligo and has limited room and now stuck / smaller fetus.

-Twin to twin transfusion: Twins are discordant and aren't matching in size causing the donor to lose out on the growth.

The donor keeps giving and becomes anemic, (depleted of energy from giving) less blood flow to kidneys so not urinating = oligohydramnios.

Recipient is not used to all this generosity and gets too much blood flow to the kidneys and urinates excessively now= polyhydramnios.

With all of this receiving, fetus may get larger in size as well and go into heart failure. 

Both twins are at risk for dying, why? 

Answer: Donor (smaller one) is severely restricted of nutrition and oxygen rich blood supply.

Recipient (larger one) heart failure

Question: With poly-oli sequence and TTTS both affecting monochorionic pregnancies, since one is small and the other will be bigger, will they appear the same way sonographically? I tried pulling up sono images of poly-oli (stuck twin) and TTTS is the only thing that comes up. 

Question: With Monochorionic: Twins are sharing one placenta correct? 

Continuation anomalies...

-Twin anemia Polycythemia syndrome: Occurrences: TTTS: laser surgery is performed to clear anastomosed placenta vessels and after this surgery is can cause this dx. Its a discordance of hemoglobin: Too little hemoglobin / anemic vs too much hemoglobin / polycythemic.

-Acardiac anomaly: One develops and heart and the other doesn't. Along with no heart of upper half of the body. 

-Conjoined Twins:  Twins can connect at various points of their body. Occurs when the division takes place after 13 days.

-Hope someone got something out of this :)

Picture of Heather White
Re: Multiple Gestations
by Heather White - Friday, 28 February 2020, 8:27 PM

Ok, this might be a silly question. When there is a Mono/Mono twin pregnancy how do we keep twinA/B consistent. Since there is no amnion separating the fetuses, what's to keep them from changing position? Especially since there is only one placenta. Would cord insertion help?

Whenever I have a twin follow up I look through all of the priors to get an idea for where the fetus/placental location is and what their weight % has been trending. There have been times when the initial scan showed baby A closest to cervix (obvious) but as the pregnancy progeressed twin B presents closest to the cervix. I found it helpful when the previous sonographer took cine sweeps of the uterus to show position and still images showing the amnion or chorion separating the fetuses. 

Picture of Charissa Velasquez
Re: Multiple Gestations
by Charissa Velasquez - Saturday, 29 February 2020, 9:22 AM

That's a great questions, I reviewed through other resources online for any tips and it was vague. I don't know how one is able to identify between the two. As you already mentioned baby closest to cx is A, but they always move around.