Lesson One: Discussion 1: Discuss Online Learning

Picture of Rebecca Stern
Stern_Discuss_Online_Learning_05_23_!6
by Rebecca Stern - Monday, 23 May 2016, 12:46 PM

• What makes online learning possible?
  • klsdfjkasldfkjaskdlfj
  • What is the value of an online degree?
    • sjkdfhasjkdfhasdjk

Picture of Dan Bennington
Re: Stern_Discuss_Online_Learning_05_23_!6
by Dan Bennington - Thursday, 26 May 2016, 4:24 PM

Technology and the increased use/availability of smartphones & tablets make online learning to the masses. That being said, online learning made be more readily available, but not the proper mode of learning for all.

• What is the value of an online degree/employer?

The changing work environment and the ever increasing need to be have a technologically savvy workforce makes having some online degrees valuable to employers. It shows that the employee is up to speed with technology and they are self sufficient and have excellent time management skills.

Picture of Dan Bennington
by Dan Bennington - Friday, 27 May 2016, 12:34 PM

What makes online learning possible?

Technology and the increased use/availability of smartphones & tablets make online learning to the masses readily available. That being said, online learning  may not be the proper mode of learning for all.

Picture of Maria Isabela Aldana
by Maria Isabela Aldana - Monday, 30 May 2016, 10:14 PM

What is the value of an online degree? 

I think that our view of the value of an online degree has changed. As more and more people turn to online learning, the quality of programs improve and people are able to demonstrate that they received a quality education. 

Why would employers want to hire someone with an online degree? 

It shows that the person was able to multi-task, if they also remained employed while going to school, and that they can handle a high level of pressure. Online learners many times tend to be independent and have the ability to learn on their own. They are disciplined and many times intrinsically motivated. 

Picture of First Last
by First Last - Tuesday, 31 May 2016, 10:59 AM

I'd like to add to what Maria and Dan have posted altogether and add the following comments:

What makes online learning possible?

Definitely technology, but more so, I think is the availability of internet and computer access via cell phone access, tablets, cafes offering free wifi, and other tech perks led by consumerism.

What is the value of an online degree?

I agree that our acceptance to online degrees has changed over the years with more schools offering quality rather than a "drive-thru" degree that lacked worth. With today's evolving technology that incorporates mass communication via different learning platforms and modalities, acquiring an online degree from an accredited school can mean a lot to a professional and an employer. For example, an alumni will now have improved technology, communication, and subject-matter skills after completion of the program. An employer will take note of those "transferable skills" when reviewing either resumes or evaluations that can translate to skills others may lack.

Picture of First Last
by First Last - Saturday, 4 June 2016, 11:06 PM

Online learning is made possible by technology and those willing to learn online.  Having an online degree is attractive to employers who value online learning.  We need to recognize that many current jobs do not require employees to be online learners.  However, this may change as Kaiser begins to roll out jobs of the future and emphasize digital fluency skills.

Picture of First Last
by First Last - Tuesday, 7 June 2016, 4:11 PM

Yes, more and more people are using online learning. However, I do worry about how isolating online learning is.  Will those who primarily completed online learning be skilled in interpersonal communications?

Picture of Maggie Newcomb
by Maggie Newcomb - Wednesday, 20 July 2016, 5:18 PM

• Sorry, I am late to this discussion, but here are my thoughts. As others have said, technology innovations for sure make online learning possible. However, I also think it is those creative thinkers that imagined all these great ideas. If not for creativity, these classes would be dry and boring. I think many of the first classes were. It was those people that think outside the box like the early days of Khan academy.
  • What is the value of an online degree?
    • In my opinion online degrees can help people get to the next level of their career. They still get the letters after their name wherever they get there degree from. But, there still is some stigma for certain online schools.