Lesson Two: Discussion One: Effective Email Communication Discussion

Picture of Rebecca Stern
Instructor: Ineffective personal email communication
by Rebecca Stern - Wednesday, 27 January 2016, 8:24 AM

I have many example of personal communication methods that have been ineffective. One that stands out was a few years ago when I emailed someone using yellow font. They were unable to read my content and therefore, asked me to resend them the email. 

Picture of First Last
Sara Reply: Re: Instructor: Ineffective personal email communication
by First Last - Wednesday, 27 January 2016, 8:31 AM

Hi Instructor,

Type my response. 

Picture of Dan Bennington
Re: Instructor: Ineffective personal email communication
by Dan Bennington - Wednesday, 8 June 2016, 9:48 AM

Another ineffective form of communication via email is inadvertently (or intentionally) using all caps. The understanding when using all caps is that the individual sending the email is upset and trying to convey an extreme view. In many instances this form of communication should not be done via email, but rather in-person, face-to-face or over the phone. Another misstep people make are using imogens or extreme punctuation in emails. This, often times, confuses individuals and muddles the message. The best email is short and to the point.

Picture of Maggie Newcomb
by Maggie Newcomb - Wednesday, 8 June 2016, 3:23 PM

I agree with Dan. Any email that has all caps can be very unsettling to receive. It is always best to pick up the phone especially if you are at work. The thing about emails is, they can always be forwarded to others that were not intended to hear it.

Picture of First Last
by First Last - Wednesday, 15 June 2016, 4:22 PM

I agree with you Dan. Folks who are trying to convey an extreme view or emotion in any given case should opt for communicating in-person. Additionally, short and to the point works best, except when a lengthy email is necessary as Maria mentioned below.

Picture of Maggie Newcomb
by Maggie Newcomb - Wednesday, 8 June 2016, 3:28 PM

One of the biggest problems about emails in the work place are emails that are too long. There is that saying "TLDR". Too long didn't read. If you work at a busy company, people don't have the time to sit and read paragraph after paragraph. It is not the best way to communicate. People just don't like reading long emails. Some ways to improve emails are to use bullet points and short sentences. And, don't try to put too much information in one email. Sometimes I will add at the end, "If you have questions let me know". Then for those people with questions I can go in detail if needed. Most people just need the basic info.

Picture of Rebecca Stern
by Rebecca Stern - Sunday, 12 June 2016, 1:59 PM

Nice point Maggie. Don't write an email that's too long, the person receiving the email may not read the whole thing. In addition, if you do write a long email, structure is so that the paragraphs are defined. You may also think about adding headings to each section to help the reader differentiate what they are reading. 

Picture of Maria Isabela Aldana
by Maria Isabela Aldana - Monday, 13 June 2016, 10:31 AM

I partly agree. I agree that it's best to be short and to the point, but there are times when the info has to be shared and email is the best way. I'm thinking of some of our programs (STEP, Upgrades), where we have to share a lot of info in one email. In those instances, I think it's a good idea to let the recipient know that the email is long-ish, but important, or flag it. I find that people who are participating in these programs are more likely to read these longer emails because they understand the importance of it (for the most part). 

Picture of Maria Isabela Aldana
by Maria Isabela Aldana - Monday, 13 June 2016, 11:51 AM

Sorry, I posted a response instead of replying to this one. 

Something that I come across often when it comes to emails is people who don't respond to the question/s in my initial email. I find this ineffective, because it usually means that I have to send a follow-up email and they have to respond again. 

When I have to write a long email, I usually let the reader know that it will be long but important, or I flag it as extremely important. I also use bullet points, and also highlight questions I need answers to. I also color code, bold, etc. I send follow-up emails as well. These tactics help, but don't always work. 

Picture of First Last
by First Last - Wednesday, 15 June 2016, 4:31 PM

An ineffective email communication method in the workplace is hitting "Reply all" without considering who needs to read the message. This type of communication method can create many irrelevant emails throughout the work day that can become distracting and could potentially be perceived as thoughtless and rushed by the sender.