Week 11 Discussion Board

Picture of Michelle Wilson
3rd trimester discussions
by Michelle Wilson - Friday, 12 March 2021, 1:53 PM

Imagine you are a sonographer and your next patient is a third-trimester follow-up. You notice that the fetus is measuring smaller than it should be. What is your next plan of action? And Why? What other aspects are sonographers thinking of as we move into the last pieces of the pregnancy? How has our thought processes changed? What's important now at this stage?

Picture of Alexis Rojas
Re: 3rd trimester discussions
by Alexis Rojas - Monday, 15 March 2021, 3:09 PM

Hello fabulous ladies! I will be the moderator for this DB. I can't believe it is already the last week of the quarter and we have learned so much. Great job on the discussion boards so far - let's keep it up!

When posting your responses, some things to keep in mind are:

- What is the purpose of the third trimester exam and how does it differ from the other OB exams? 

- What key factors are you looking for when assessing the fetus at this time?

- If something is wrong, how are you going to paint the picture to best communicate with the radiologist and prove what your are seeing? 

- What else should you document to help the radiologist and perinatologist determine what the next steps are in terms of managing the health of the mom and fetus? 

As always, we love to see helpful images and videos and share any experiences you have had at clinicals. I'm looking forward to learning from you all!

Picture of Chrishawna Porter
by Chrishawna Porter - Monday, 15 March 2021, 3:54 PM

If I find that the fetus is measuring smaller than their gestational age I would refer back to their previous exams. It's important to notate if this is a new finding or has the fetus measured small consistently. It important to understand what parameters may also be influenced by genetics. We know that if mom and dad are shorter that may yield a shorter child, and the same is true of tall parents.

If the fetus had not measured small previously it's important to double or even triple check our measurements. If we are not in the correct plane for our measurements it can yield a false reading. If the measurements match every time we know something is truly askew.

When the fetus measures small early in the pregnancy we become suspicious of symmetrical IUGR. if changes aren't noticed until the second or even third trimester we worry about asymmetrical IUGR. In the event of an asymmetrical IUGR we should notice a disproportionate size at the fetal head and abdomen which is due to head sparing.

During the third trimester our focus shifts from surveying full fetal anatomy to completing a more targeted exam. Although we are still looking carefully at baby our main areas of interest should include biometry, AFV, biophysical profile, and babys presentation! We figure at this point in the pregnancy most anomalies should’ve already been documented and followed up on, but we must still be diligent in surveying through the entire fetus!

Heres 2 graphics I really like about the biophysical profile:

Biophysical

BP

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Monday, 15 March 2021, 6:00 PM

Great job Chrishawna and lovely graphics! I like how you mentioned you would refer to previous exams to see if the fetus was previously measuring small for GA. It would be good to know if the small measurements are new finding and how much change has occurred since the last exam. 

In regards to asymmetrical IUGR, what else would you look for besides a discrepancy in HC/AC ratio? 

by Chrishawna Porter - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 6:30 PM

Hey Alexis,

You have brought up an interesting thought! While we know the differences between the HC & AC are the biggest tip-off there are a few other factors that could point us in the direction of an asymmetrical IUGR. Although the fetus is in the one physically affected by IUGR its important to get a thorough history from mom about how this pregnancy has been progressing as well as any previous pregnancies. We may wonder if mom has been exposed to conditions that have led to malnourishment or maybe she has a history of hypertension. If mom has experienced any of those we know that could explain the baby's disproportionate growth.

In terms of the fetus themselves, a complete survey of the placenta and umbilical cord should be completed. Is the baby able to receive the proper nourishment it needs via the placenta? Is there two umbilical arteries present or just one?

https://www.aafp.org/afp/1998/0801/p453.html

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 8:45 PM

I agree! An evaluation of the placenta and umbilical cord (specifically Doppler) would be on my to-do list if I suspected asymmetric IUGR. I'd Doppler the MCA for additional evidence of brain sparing. Also, thank you for sharing the IUGR article. The decision tree chart in the article was great. I also found it a little funny that at the time of publication Doppler analysis was considered experimental by the American College of OB/GYNs. Now Doppler is an important part of OB, GYN and other general US exams!

Picture of Monica De Ocampo
by Monica De Ocampo - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 2:00 PM

Chrishawna!

You drawn out these beautiful graphics too?? This is a great chart to follow-- personally, I like to re- draw/ write things out to help me memorize different concepts. Simplicity is key! Your graphs are always so helpful.

At your clinical site, have you conducted a non stress test yourself? OR have you seen IUGR or macrosomia? 

Today, I have a PT with Bardet- Biedl syndrome. I think it's correlated with macrosomia... he was a BIG 2 year old. 

by Chrishawna Porter - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 6:44 PM

Monica,

I am so flattered you thought I drew that biophysical profile image I shared, it was actually a resource I found online that I though simplified it! At my site I haven't seen many 3rd trimester exams or a biophysical profile done. One notable 3rd trimester was a patient who was somewhere around 38 weeks and her babies biometry was literally off the charts, I want to say measuring somewhere close to 43 weeks!! The poor mom looked so uncomfortable and ready for her baby to be delivered.

Sounds like you had an interesting case today, did the parents happen to say how big he was as a newborn?

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 8:28 PM

Hi Monica - could you share more info on Bardet-Biedl syndrome? I haven't heard of that one yet and it sounds interesting!

by Monica De Ocampo - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 9:59 PM

Chrishawna & Alexis, 

Unfortunately, I didn't get to look further into this PT info. When I first called them in for their ultrasound scan, I did not recognize them to be a 25 months. They were about the size of a late three year old. I noticed that during the scan, the baby was of course frustrated, however they were only making this humming noise. This was constant. Even when the mom was talking to them, they were just humming.

At the end of the exam, I questioned their size and found that they were diagnosed with Bardet- Biedl Syndrome. This abnormality is due to genetics (14 genes). The image below are the traits of the syndrome. 

Picture of Zulema Hernandez
by Zulema Hernandez - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 7:52 PM

Great post Chrishawna!

I love the drawing you included of the BPP, it really helps visualize the requirements in a simple form. I enjoyed this video of a BPP exam, it's definitely a waiting game with these, since sometimes the baby isn't very active, at the time you're trying to document. To quickly remember the list of BPP requirements, I came up with the silly mnemonic:

Baby Must Tone And Not-Stress (Breathing, Movement, Tone, Amniotic fluid, Non-stress-test)

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 12:35 PM

Great mnemonic, Zuly! I’ll have to remember that one  

by Chrishawna Porter - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 6:42 PM

OMG ZULY!!! This mnemonic is great, not only is it easy to remember, but it actually pertains to the topic!! :)

Picture of Nailah Hollman
by Nailah Hollman - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 10:54 AM

Hey Zuly, 

Thank you for sharing that mnemonic, it really helpful. Also I appreciate this video because it gives us opportunity to get a visual of the BPP process. 

Picture of Allison Wine
by Allison Wine - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 2:16 PM

This is great Chrishawna!

I was watching this video and this woman made an image to remember all the different parts of the BPP. If you think of a baby yawning with 3 limbs moving and they are in amnionic fluid it covers all the parts we as sonographers need to perform when doing a BPP. 

Picture of Lania Black
by Lania Black - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 8:29 PM

Hi Chrishawna!

OMG! Did you draw this?! I'm sure your talented self did lol. But that's a great image, thank you for sharing. I'm actually going to print it out and keep it in my clinical binder to refer back to because I love the way it's broken down and organized.

Picture of Leah Borries
by Leah Borries - Monday, 15 March 2021, 4:31 PM

If I am doing a 3rd trimester scan and the fetus is measuring smaller than it should be, my next plan of action would be to take one more set of measurements to verify that the smaller estimation is not due to imprecise calipers or scan planes. Once verified, I would also look at AFV and monitor for sonographic components of the Biophysical Profile. AFV is done by measuring an empty space sample in 4 quadrants of the uterus (using the umbilicus as center). One of the techs at my site showed me how to use dual screen to actually show 4 different views in one image, which I thought was pretty ideal for concisely illustrating AFV to the radiologist. These “empty spaces” should be measured perpendicular to the table (not maternal belly) and should be free of fetal anatomy and umbilical cord.

I would also consider a doppler of the umbilical cord and MCA. We could also look at the Ductus Venosus doppler but that is I think more for perinatology as Dr. Wilson mentioned in lecture.

When we see that the fetus is measuring smaller, we being to suspect IUGR. It is important to start questioning what might be causing this smaller EFW. I really liked this image (below) that highlighted some different factors that can be associated with IUGR.

Since we are scanning in the 3rd trimester, what is important now is can baby thrive in utero, or will it have higher success with an early delivery. The doctors are the ones who make that decision, but they use our sonographic findings to inform those choices, so it is important that we document everything relevant to fetal in utero prognosis.

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Monday, 15 March 2021, 6:21 PM

Great job, Leah! Thanks for mentioning the quad-screen view. That sounds like a great way to present amniotic fluid information to the radiologist. I'll have to figure out how to do that on the machine at my site!

If the fetus was assessed to be healthy and had normal biometrics according to prior sonographic exams and genetic tests, which of the factors in the graphic you shared could cause IUGR in the 3rd trimester? 

Picture of Leah Borries
by Leah Borries - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 9:32 PM

Great question! I suspect that since everything is pretty much done developing by the 3rd trimester, the primary goal is fetal growth. So any factor that impedes that could stunt growth? Like lack of nutrition, or placental insufficiency that cuts nutrients and oxygen supply?

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 12:42 PM

Sounds right to me! Molly shared a video that used the mnemonic “Mama Made Poor Uterus Sick” for asymmetric IUGR in later pregnancy. There’s also a mnemonic for symmetrical IUGR in the video. Would recommend! 

by Nailah Hollman - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 10:10 PM

Hey Leah, 

I really enjoyed your response. I found it helpful reviewing your thoughts because they were really straightforward so your plan of action really made sense to me. I always really like the image you posted ! I appreciate how it is simultaneously concise and informative; there is so much information out there, my brain thanks you. 
Here‘s another image you may find helpful:

Picture of Leah Borries
by Leah Borries - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 5:12 PM

Thank you for sharing such a great chart! It really helps us visual learners.

Picture of Allison Wine
by Allison Wine - Monday, 15 March 2021, 4:49 PM

Hello All,

I think if the fetus was measuring smaller than it should be I would be worried about if he/she is thriving. I would be interested in seeing if they are still developing or barely making any progress. First, if I noticed that the fetus was smaller than normal I would probably start with amniotic fluid measurements. Next, I would go into doppler. I would first want to see if the umbilical arteries had a strong uptick in systole and a low resistant diastole. If this was abnormal I would then go to the Middle cerebral artery to see if the S/D ratio was > 3.0. If lower than 3.0 a waveform with low resistance in diastole may suggest cranial sparring and could be a reason why the fetus is measuring smaller. Next, I would look at the Ductus venosus waveform to see if forward low resistant triphasic flow was present. I would interrogate all of these vessels to see if the fetus is thriving but may be on the smaller side or if they are smaller because their environment has stunted their development. If all of these were normal I would suggest a follow up appointment to track the growth of the fetus. 

I think as a sonographer during the third trimester and last stage of pregnancy we really just want to make sure the fetus is still growing and in a good environment. I would say this thought process has changed from the first 2 trimesters because then it was more so the question of is there anything developmentally abnormal or do they present with anomalies. You are really interrogating every little part of the fetus to see if everything has formed accordingly. Whereas in the third trimester it is more so about will this baby die in utero or should they be taken out and given care outside of the womb. At this stage it may be important to perform biophysical profiles to see if the fetus is prospering.

Here is a great image showing progressive loss of diastolic flow

Full size image for 'Fetal Growth and Growth Restriction'

Picture of Lania Black
by Lania Black - Monday, 15 March 2021, 5:40 PM

Hi Allison!

Great post! 

I failed to mention how important checking the Doppler of the vessels were in my post so thank you for pointing that out! We definitely want to interrogate these vessels to make sure the baby is getting the blood flow it needs!

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Monday, 15 March 2021, 6:39 PM

Nice, Allison! I like your emphasis on the Doppler waveforms. It seems like these waveforms are a determining factor if there needs to be immediate intervention or not. 

Of the waveforms in your image, which one(s) would be most alarming for MCA and umbilical artery? 

Picture of Allison Wine
by Allison Wine - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 9:09 PM

Hey Alexis,

Great question! I would have to say the more worrisome from MCA would be the first waveform. This would indicate brain sparring, where basically the brain is taking all the blood and therefore the waveform would show a low resistance. For the Umbilical Artery I would say the last waveform would be troublesome and need immediate intervention. The waveform basically shows reversed flow when we want low resistance forward flow. 

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 9:54 PM

Excellent response! I agree. And kudos to you for using your qualitative waveform knowledge to answer. 

Picture of Brittany Lopes
by Brittany Lopes - Monday, 15 March 2021, 5:29 PM

If I noticed that a third trimester fetus was measuring smaller than it should be, I would first go back and double check my measurements. I would do an additional head circumference and abdominal measurement. Then I would compare these two to see how the HC/AC ratio is. This can help me further assess what type of IUGR the fetus may be suffering from. If the ratio is the same, then the entire fetus is smaller than normal and this signals symmetrical IUGR. If the HC/AC ratio is two standard deviations above the mean then this shows that the baby has asymmetric IUGR and the head was spared.

I would also want to assess the amniotic fluid in this pregnancy. Oligohydramnios is often associated with IUGR and can be diagnosed if the AFV is less than 5 cm.

I would additionally want to assess the fetal and maternal blood vessels and see if the fetus is getting enough blood. I would Doppler the umbilical artery and vein, the middle cerebral artery, and possibly the maternal uterine artery or ductus venosus. I would want to look for any signs of decreased diastolic flow in the umbilical artery or uterine artery, and I would want to look for increased diastolic flow in the MCA as this waveform should be biphasic. I would also want to check for any signs of reversed flow as this can show that the fetus isn't getting enough blood.

A biophysical profile assessment may also be beneficial to assess the status and well being of the fetus. This consists of evaluating their breathing, tone, movement, AFI, and cardiac function.

The third trimester is a time where we are no longer looking at the detailed anatomy and are instead assessing how the baby is thriving and if they are safe to be delivered. In this stage there is often less amniotic fluid as the baby has grown to fill most of the amniotic cavity, so detailed anatomical images are harder to achieve. The anatomical assessment is instead typically done in the second trimester so any anomalies should be well noted by now. In the third trimester we may be looking at the maternal cervix to assess if there are any issues of cervical incompetency and we may also be looking at the fetal position to see if a vaginal birth is possible. 

This helpful chart shows the different treatment routes for a baby with IUGR and when delivery should be attempted.

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Monday, 15 March 2021, 6:56 PM

Awesome, Brittany! Thank you for sharing the decision tree chart! It did clear up some confusion I had about whether BPP and fetal growth were performed as one exam or not. On the graphic, when it says "none or poor growth -- consider delivery," what qualifies as poor growth typically? 

by Brittany Lopes - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 7:51 PM

Hi Alexis,

I think "poor growth" refers to biometric measurements that are not measuring what they should be for the fetus' gestational age. I believe measurements less than 2 standard deviations are worrisome? 

Picture of Lania Black
by Lania Black - Monday, 15 March 2021, 5:38 PM

While scanning a baby for the third trimester, one of the most important things we're looking for is to see if baby is measuring and growing properly. If I notice or suspect that the baby is measuring small, I'm immediately going to put my detective hat on and start looking for reasons as to why the baby might be measuring small.

The first thing I would think of is IUGR, and that the baby somewhere isn't getting the proper nutrients or blood flow it needs to thrive and grow. So in that case, I would start checking amniotic fluid levels, I would also check the mother's history or ask if she has a history of hypertension. This would also be a time where I would think a biophysical profile would be necessary to properly check what's going on with this baby.

I'm going to want to check the baby's breathing movements, body movements, tone, and amniotic fluid volume, and also a non-stress test should be completed. It's very important to find out what's going on with this baby, especially since it's later on in the pregnancy, so we want to shift our minds to thinking tis could possibly be something more serious that we really need to resolve if possible. 

I added a picture below of the difference between symmetric and asymmetric IUGR.

Frontiers | Knowledge Gaps and Emerging Research Areas in Intrauterine  Growth Restriction-Associated Brain Injury | Endocrinology

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Monday, 15 March 2021, 7:10 PM

Nice job, Lania! What a great graphic as well. We are definitely health detectives in training and like you said, it is important to help answer why something is wrong if we can help it. 

If you were to spectral Doppler a fetus with IUGR, which vessels would be important to assess and what would normal look like? 

Picture of Lania Black
by Lania Black - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 9:33 PM

Hi Alexis!

Great question!

We want to assess the umbilical artery and vein, ductus venosus, and the MCA to properly check if there is IUGR. We want to see forward flow with low resistance.

by Chrishawna Porter - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 6:37 PM

Hi Lania,

I love the graphic you included with chart on IUGR!! I found your post to be very well written and thorough, I can definitely see your detective skills are out to play! :) I'm so glad you mentioned the biophysical profile, even though we just covered it, I find myself forgetting about it, maybe because I mostly observe second trimester scans?

Picture of Ramandeep Singh
by Ramandeep Singh - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 7:53 PM

Hi Lania,

I like how you mentioned double checking with the mom to see if she is dealing with issues like hypertension, as you mentioned. Here are some other maternal factors that may lead to IUGR:

Maternal and environmental conditions associated with IUGR. Several... |  Download Scientific Diagram

I saw one third trimester scan and it was very hard to see much of the baby's biometrics, so do you have any tips as to how to get the pictures more clear and accurate for third trimester so we are not making the baby seem smaller than it is?

Picture of Lania Black
by Lania Black - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 9:36 PM

Hi Raman!

Great image referring to the maternal factors that could affect baby! I also have a hard time seeing third trimester babies. It's so much harder without all the amniotic fluid that the 2nd trimester babies have. I personally just try to move around moms belly and see the best possible window I can find to get the most optimal image. It definitely can be frustrating though.

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Monday, 15 March 2021, 6:03 PM

The development of the fetal structures and organs were previously examined during the 20 week anatomy scan for anomalies. By the third trimester follow-up exam, our main concern is appropriate fetal growth and weight for the gestational age to see if the fetus is thriving. Typical biometric measurements are taken as well as the calculation for estimated fetal weight. If the fetus is measuring small for its gestational age, first I would have to see if FL, HC, AC and BPD are all measuring proportionately small (symmetric IUGR), or if there are discrepancies amongst the biometrics (asymmetric IUGR). 

Symmetric IUGR is diagnosed when the fetus is measuring proportionately small across the board and estimated fetal weight falls below the 10th percentile for the gestational age. This is due to an intrinsic developmental impairment occurring in the first or early second trimester resulting in decreased cellular proliferation of all the fetal organs. Causes include early infections, chromosomal abnormalities, and congenital malformations. Compared to asymmetric IUGR, outcomes for symmetric IUGR are usually worse. 

Asymmetric IUGR occurs in the third trimester and the AC will measure smaller than HC. The EFW is below the 10th percentile and the HC/AC ratio will be higher than normal. The HC and AC are similar in weeks 13-33 and the AC should be larger than HC after 33 weeks. Asymmetric IUGR is caused by issues with the maternal blood supply to the fetus or placental issues. 

When we see IUGR, we'll want to use spectral Doppler to assess the waveform of the umbilical artery. We can also assess the waveforms of the middle cerebral artery, umbilical vein and ductus venosus to see if they are abnormal. If the waveforms exhibit fetal compromise, the radiologist and perinatologist will want to know in case the fetus needs to be delivered early. 

Umbilical artery: Low resistance waveform and continuous forward flow and a sawtooth appearance. A normal S/D ratio is less than 3.0. Absent or reversed diastolic flow is concerning for placental insufficiency.

Middle cerebral artery: High resistance waveform and continuous forward flow. A normal S/D ratio is greater than 3.0. A S/D ratio less than 3.0 is abnormal and indicative of brain sparing due to fetal hypoxia. Brain sparing is related to the abnormal HC/AC ratio seen in asymmetric IUGR. 

Ductus venosus: Triphasic wave with continuous forward flow composed of ventricular contraction, ventricular diastole and atrial contraction (a-wave). Decreased, absent, or reversed a-wave is indicative of myocardial impairment or issues with the right venticle. 

Umbilical vein: Continuous monophasic flow toward the fetus as it is transporting oxygen and nutrient rich blood from the placenta to the fetus. Can appear phasic in response to fetal respiration or hiccups. 

Amniotic fluid should also be evaluated for oligohydramnios or polyhydramnios as we have previously discusses. Normal DVP is 2-8 cm and AFI is between 5-25 cm (or 5-20 cm). These measurements should be taken in plane perpendicular to the maternal spine. Oligohydramnios is often a sign of IUGR and chronic placental insufficiency. The placenta and maternal anatomy should also be assessed for glaring abnormalities.  

Below is a diagram showing some factors causing IUGR. Here is also a link to Radiopaedia's article on IUGR including sonographic assessment and complications.

by Brittany Lopes - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 7:28 PM

Hi Alexis!

Great post. I like how you added so much detail about the different Doppler studies that are often done.

I haven't seen my techs Doppler the MCA or umbilical artery yet. Have you observed any of these? I'm curious how cases with abnormal MCA waveforms are handled as it seems to be an emergency for the fetus.

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 10:13 PM

I haven't seen any 2nd or 3rd trimester OB exams yet *sniffle* but it would be interesting to see how this type of situation would be handled. I agree that it seems like an emergent situation. I have seen other general US exams that are considered high priority readings and we have to keep the patient in the room or department until the rad gives further instruction. 

Picture of Lauren Brodehl
by Lauren Brodehl - Monday, 15 March 2021, 7:05 PM

I have helped scan a couple of follow up 3rd trimesters now, and we follow a separate protocol for limited OBs. My site starts with the long and trans cine sweeps, sag cervix and placenta picture to measure cx length and plc trace, trans DVP, heart rate, and 2 measurements each of BPD/HC, AC, and FL. I would check prior imaging to see how much smaller baby was measuring and if they are consistent in growth from exam to exam. I would make sure my measurements are accurate as possible and compare the head and abdomen measurements. If there is IUGR, the head may be larger than the abdomen (asymmetric IUGR, typically begins late 2nd/3rd tri), or it may be proportional to the abdomen but still small for dates (symmetric, typically begins 2nd tri). 

In addition, in the 3rd trimester we want to make sure the fetal lie is documented accurately. I always think of this because I start all of our OB scans, so my CI checks what I write as the lie and confirms what I see presenting to the cervix. In the survey 2nd trimesters, any fetal lie is okay since the baby moves around quite a bit and changes position often. By the 3rd trimester though, we like to see a vertex lie with the head presenting to the cervix. With normal 3rd trimester pregnancies, our thoughts have changed from the 2nd trimester "is everything there, the right size, the right appearance?" to "is this baby in the right parameters for delivery at this approximate date?" and if not, what can the doctors potentially change to assist the mother and baby in delivery, such as C-section or early or postponed delivery.

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Monday, 15 March 2021, 7:28 PM

Nice, Lauren! I haven't seen any 2nd or 3rd trimester exams at my site so I love to hear what you all are experiencing. Is postponed delivery something specific to IUGR if the fetus still has adequate blood flow or are there other indications? 

Also, would obtaining Doppler waveforms be part of your protocol when you first suspect IUGR or would you use it in future follow up exams once the concern of IUGR is confirmed by the radiologist? 

by Lauren Brodehl - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 9:53 AM

Hi Alexis!

At my site we have seen a couple of IUGR patients, but each one has been a little different protocols! We have had 2 that we just did the typical limited OB protocol on to check size and dates, but there has been one that the doctor asked specifically for dopplers on everything! Unfortunately that one was just last week before we learned about it, so I had NO idea what we were looking for. It seemed like a lot of stress on my CI to make sure they were all as accurate as they could be. As far as I can remember, her due date was consistent with what they had planned for originally, and I think she was 33 weeks at that time.

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 7:46 PM

Oh man, you would have been a pro if it happened this week! I can image the big pressure of getting the waveforms to accurately represent the fetus's condition since big decisions can be made from them. It goes to show how much of an impact sonography exams have in healthcare!

Picture of Allison Wine
by Allison Wine - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 9:15 PM

Great post Lauren,

I totally forgot but 100% agree with your last paragraph! Fetal lie toward the end is something that we need to document. This is huge with multiples. If you have twins and baby A is breech and baby B is cephalic they could actually connect chins and their necks can break if mom goes into labor on her own. 

Twins with Tots: 365 Days of Twinipedia - Day 42

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 10:36 PM

Wow, that is terrifying. I hope cases like this aren't common!

by Chrishawna Porter - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 6:53 PM

Allison,

I had no idea this was a thing!! Maybe this why they say term for twins is 36 weeks, so there's less risk of mom going into labor! Do you happen to know how common it is for twins to be birthed vaginally? I'm sure the risks have to be pretty great with this type of delivery!

Picture of Allison Wine
by Allison Wine - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 10:40 AM

Hey Chrishawna,

I think this could be a partial factor for twins being termed 36 weeks. However, I think that more so correlates with the number of placentas. For monochorionic twins that share a placenta they are usually  considered full term at 36 weeks because they share the vasculature. For dichorionic twins I think 37- 38 weeks is considered term. As for twins birthed vaginally. It can be complicated. If both babies are cephalic and no other issues are present I am sure the mother could give birth vaginally. I know of others where Baby A was cephalic and Baby B was breech and they still gave birth vaginally. It depends on the mothers history, the state of the twins and sometimes hospitals will not allow certain fetal lies to even attempt a vaginal delivery (breech, breech and breech, cephalic).

by Chrishawna Porter - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 6:14 PM

Thank you so much Allison for that explanation, that makes a lot of sense and I hadn't even thought about how it may be different depending on the type of twins!

by Lauren Brodehl - Friday, 19 March 2021, 10:27 AM

I found a great article about the increase in C-sections for twin birth in the US, and they discuss the factors causing it as birth year and the fetal presentation! Trends in Cesarean Delivery for Twin Births in the United States: 1995 to 2008 (nih.gov)

This picture was in another short article about twin delivery, and I think the percentages are the successful birth rates for the variable lies! 

twin-pregnancy

Picture of Hailey Indelicato
by Hailey Indelicato - Monday, 15 March 2021, 7:22 PM

If I find that a fetus is measuring smaller than it should be I would triple check my measurements to make sure they are all accurate, I would also  go back and look at past exams and see if this is a recurrent finding. When a baby is small for gestational ago, there could be other things going on as well so checking the fetal environment would be an important next step. I would do this by completing a biophysical profile even if this isn't what was ordered. I would also add extra steps into my examination like Umbilical artery, middle cerebral artery, and ductus venous dopplers if necessary.

A consistently small baby could be a case of IUGR and doing extra work up to prove this is also something I would do by comparing HC, AC, FL, and BPD measurements. I can also determine the type of IUGR by assessing if the baby is symmetrically small or if its asymmetrical with a small abdomen and normal head size. I would also be looking for abnormalities in these waveforms like high resistance in the UA waveform when it should be low, or a reversed A wave in the ductus venosus waveform.

Some other things to think about when moving into the 3rd trimester are presentation, we want to see the baby in a cephalic position and if this isn't the case at 36 weeks when the physician can attempt a external cephalic version, which is where the baby is moved externally into the cephalic position and if this isn't successful then a C-section may be needed. 

Another thing to be aware about it the placenta location. If the mom has previa and it hasn't grown out of the way of the internal os by the 3 trimester then a vaginal birth won't be possible. Placental abruption is another factor to take into account because it's most common in the 3rd trimester. It occurs when the placenta separates from the inner wall of the uterus before birth. It can also deprive the baby of oxygen and nutrients and cause heavy bleeding in the mother. 

Our thought process has changed in the way that we now aren't so worried about the anatomy side of this baby, we are more focused on the environment and how this baby is thriving in it. What's more important now is the baby's well being. Is the fluid okay, is the baby's growth on track, how is the movement, is the baby prating breathing, things like this is what makes the 3rd trimester scan important. 

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Monday, 15 March 2021, 7:44 PM

Hi Hailey! You touched on a little bit of everything! I like how you mentioned evaluating the placenta and also fetal presentation. Those are definitely important considerations in the third trimester when preparing for delivery. If the patient gets their follow up exam before 36 weeks and growth and fetal environment were normal, would they have to come back for another exam to check the fetus's presentation before delivery? 

by Hailey Indelicato - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 6:02 PM

Hi Alexis! 

Really good question and correct me if I'm wrong but I would think if everything is normal and the baby is thriving, then no. The baby isn't likely to move much after 36 weeks, that's why if they aren't cephalic by then, then an ECV would be attempted or C-section would have to be preformed. But if it's a high risk pregnancy and the baby is still doing great I would think that yes they would have to come back just to make sure everything is still good up until delivery. 

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 9:09 PM

Oh my goodness, I'm sorry. I just realized I wasn't as specific in my question as I intended to be. *face palm* I was curious if a growth scan prior to 36 weeks showed the fetus was healthy but wasn't in the correct presentation, would they have to come back to us for another scan. I forgot that the patients also go regular appointments with their obstetrician and get bedside ultrasounds. They likely wouldn't need to come back to us just to check presentation. *double face palm*

Have you seen a BPP at your clinical site? 

by Hailey Indelicato - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 7:20 PM

LOL no worries! I want to say yes but again I'm not positive but it would make sense for a mother to have to come back for another scan if they baby wasn't previously in the correct position because it's important for the baby to be cephalic or it can cause a complicated delivery so knowing the position prior to delivery is needed. The baby can still move around prior to 36 weeks so we need to find out if baby shifted or stayed in the wrong delivery position.

Yes I have seen a few but I haven't been able to scan one yet because when I asked to scan my CI said no because of the time limit. That was a big bummer for me because she didn't even try and let me scan after her if she finished before the 30min time limit. I was so sad but I'm hoping to get some time to scan OB soon. BPP is as close as it gets to OB exams at my site. Along with ER first tri's on occasion. 

by Zulema Hernandez - Monday, 15 March 2021, 7:29 PM

If I was scanning a third trimester follow-up and noticed the fetus is measuring smaller than it should be, I’d first double, and triple check my measurements. Doing so, I could rule out incorrect measurements due to improper scan planes. If I continue to get the same small measurements, I would be thinking of the possibility of IUGR. A diagnosis can be made when the EFW is < 10th percentile for gestational age, and we should obtain BPD, HC, AC, and FL.

We know there’s two types of IUGR that we focus on. Asymmetric IUGR is the most common type, and it occurs later in pregnancy, usually second or third trimester, and it’s distinguished by the normal head and brain size, but small abdomen, which is due to brain sparing. A HC/AC ratio should be obtained to determine if we’re dealing with asymmetric IUGR. Symmetric IUGR occurs early in pregnancy usually in the 1st trimester, and brain sparing doesn’t occur, so all indices are small: head, abdomen, long bones. 

Biophysical profile assessment should be performed to evaluate the baby’s health and ability to thrive within the womb until delivery. It documents fetal breathing, movement, tone, amniotic fluid, and non-stress test although we don’t conduct the last one. Doppler of the umbilical artery, umbilical vein, and MCA may also be useful to check.

In the third trimester, we shift our focus from the anatomy scan mentality where we take a close look at all fetal parts in great detail, to focusing on determining if the fetus is stable, thriving, and able to safely remain in the womb until delivery. We’re looking for indications that fetal growth and organ development is doing well, and that the mother is stable and continues to provide a safe environment for the baby. 

This page is a great summary of IUGR and I also really liked this chart Candee shared on her presentation! At my site I feel like I’ve only seen them use an AFI percentile chart, so I’m really glad we learned about these other parameters.

https://radiopaedia.org/articles/intrauterine-growth-restriction?lang=us

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Monday, 15 March 2021, 8:29 PM

Hi Zuly! Great post. I like that you clarified the parameters for an IUGR diagnosis. Also a great reminder that we have access to growth charts when we want to double check our measurement against what is normal for the GA, especially since we now know that there can be discrepancies. 

Other than an abnormal HC/AC ratio, how do we prove there is brain sparing? Is there a certain amount of brain sparing that is acceptable for continued monitoring or is its detection an automatic qualifier for early delivery?

by Zulema Hernandez - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 10:04 PM

Hey Alexis!

This is a great question. Other than an abnormal HC/AC ratio, I think we may also look at the MCA to prove there is brain sparing. In asymmetric IUGR the fetus is able to preferentially supply the brain. Normally the MCA has a high resistance flow, meaning there is minimal antegrade flow in diastole. In the setting of brain sparing, the flow can become low resistance. I had some trouble trying to find definitive information about early delivery in regards to IUGR, but in general it looks like it depends on the severity and how compromised the fetus is and if the fetus is suffering from hypoxemia. Here are some great Doppler images of a fetus with severe IUGR. Please feel free to chime in, I am still wrapping my head around fetal Dopplers!

https://radiopaedia.org/cases/severe-iugr-with-critical-dopplers-1

https://radiopaedia.org/articles/fetal-head-sparing-theory?lang=us

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 7:51 PM

I also was having trouble finding sources that differentiate which cases are getting by with management and monitoring versus early delivery. Darn! Anyways, the case you shared is great. It's awesome that the description tells you what's wrong with the Dopplers and I was able to quiz myself as I sifted through the images. 

Picture of Karen Chow
by Karen Chow - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 11:22 PM

Hi Zuly!

I agree with Alexis, this was a great post! So detailed and informative. 

I was looking at some images of head/ brain sparing and found this:

I think this is definitely something we would notice sonographically!

And I also found an image showing types of "sparing" when it comes to IUGR, good to keep in mind if we ever were to scan fetuses with this issue.

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 12:49 PM

Thank you for sharing those great images, Karen! Is femur sparing IUGR the same as the long and skinny fetus described in Dr. Wilson’s video lecture?

Picture of Karen Chow
by Karen Chow - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 10:57 PM

Hi Alexis!

That's a great question that I don't quite have an answer for... I tried looking it up but all I found was radiopaedia.com stating some people thing femur sparing is different than other asymmetrical IUGRs but had nothing to really back it up. It does sound like the long and skinny babies Dr Wilson mentioned though!

I'd love to know if anyone has answers!

Picture of Candee Lam
by Candee Lam - Monday, 15 March 2021, 7:38 PM

If I were doing a third trimester follow up and noticed that the fetus is measuring smaller than it should be my next plan of action would be doppler. Performing a doppler study on the umbilical veins, arteries, middle cerebral artery and ductus venosus will help us in determining or confirming if there is an issue with the fetus or if the fetus might have IUGR. Making sure that the fetuses head circumference to abdominal circumference is in the correct proportion which is supposed to be 1 to 1.  There are two types of IUGR we might expect asymmetrical and symmetrical. We would see symmetrical earlier on in the pregnancy and asymmetrical later on second or third trimester.  We would see symmetrical as the fetus as a whole getting smaller and asymmetrical with inproportionate limbs and abdominal. 

However, before every exam the Sonographer should make sure they are comparing the fetuses previous measurements to have a good idea of the growth trend. Then I will check the fetuses organs to make sure that they look normal for example the kidneys the liver and vessels.  Making sure that I'm getting multiple feutus measurements and not just using one to determine that the fetus is small.  

I know DR. Wilson stated that she performs a biophysical profile during every exam, which is what I am going to implement in my scans.  Therefore I would perform the BPP, to ensure the baby is breathing, moving, has fetal tone, and cardiac movements.

Next I would check the amniotic fluid volume making sure it is not below five and not above 25.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4w1HqIjv0w

This is a great Youtube for the comparison of IUGR to SGA

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Monday, 15 March 2021, 8:43 PM

Hi Candee! Nice post. Thank you for sharing the video! It helped me clarify the difference between IUGR and SGA, which is important. It also had a good reminder that IUGR is not based on one exam. It has to be demonstrated over serial exams for an official diagnosis. 

What is the biggest question we should be answering in 3rd trimester exams and how is it different than 2nd trimester exams? 

Picture of Candee Lam
by Candee Lam - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 7:06 PM

Yes, I liked that it compared the two diagnosis and showed that IUGR is a diagnosis made over a period of time.  I think the biggest question we should be answering in the third trimester is whether the baby is healthy enough to be born and support itself outside of the womb. What do you think?

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 8:07 PM

I agree - we should be answering the question, "Is the fetus healthy and moving and growing appropriately?" If the fetus isn't doing well, we need to document it thoroughly to help the rad and/or perinatologist decide what the best management or delivery plan is. 

by Hailey Indelicato - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 6:08 PM

Hi Candee,

Great response, I also took into account Dr. Wilson's plan of doing a BPP even if it's not necessarily ordered. I also mentioned that we should evaluate the placenta in the 3rd trimester. why do you think this would be beneficial ?

Picture of Candee Lam
by Candee Lam - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 7:11 PM

I think it is very important to check the placenta in the third trimester to make sure there is not placenta previa.  And if the placenta is too thin it could be associated with IUGR And placentas that are too thick are associated with diabetes and infection.  

Can you sum up what we should see in the Doppler's of the vessels coming off the placenta?

by Hailey Indelicato - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 7:29 PM

Umbilical Vein Doppler should be monophasic and may be a useful tool for determination of fetal well-being for growth-restricted fetuses

Umbilical Artery Doppler, S/D ratio should be less than 3 with low resistance The waveform usually has a "sawtooth" pattern with flow always in the forward direction with continuous diastolic flow and can be used in surveillance of fetal well-being in the third trimester of pregnancy. 

It's beneficial to get both vein and artery in one waveform for comparison 

Methodology of Doppler assessment of the placental & fetal circulation

Picture of Molly McCain
by Molly McCain - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 9:10 PM

Hey Hailey!

I really love this image showing normal umbilical vein/artery flow. If only each case looked like this. 

As a reminder of what an abnormal doppler can look like:

faint venous flow...S/D above 3. 

by Hailey Indelicato - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 7:46 PM

Thanks Molly! yes i wish lol but something I didn't know prior to class on Monday was that we want to try and get both vein and artery flow in our doppler sample. This is because we are able to compare them so much easier in one image and if theres an abnormality we can see how it's affected the other flow. Yes that umbilical artery doppler is definitely abnormal. Theres almost no diastolic flow, not good! 

Picture of Karen Chow
by Karen Chow - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 10:36 PM

Hi Candee,

Great post, love that you mentioned organ size and not just stuff like limbs, cranium size, etc. Organs can be small for fetal age due to symmetric and asymmetric IUGR.

Also, great point to distinguish between SGA and IUGR like the girls said!

I found the same chart as Zuly that helped me when I got a little confused:

and some other stuff! 

Picture of Candee Lam
by Candee Lam - Friday, 19 March 2021, 5:55 PM

I really liked the table that you posted because it helps differentiate the causes of I youGR & SGA. I think it is important to remember that SGA is pathological and IUGR It is caused by maternal issues or fetal issues.

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Friday, 19 March 2021, 7:47 PM

Thank you for these charts, Karen! I find it super helpful to see the information laid out this way. 

by Nailah Hollman - Friday, 19 March 2021, 11:36 PM

Hey Candee, 

Beautiful response. I appreciate how mentioned checking on the babies organs! That’s such and important to properly assess viability of the fetus. I also appreciated how you mentioned when each type of IUGR should be expected to be present. This article talks a little about why asymptote IUGR is found later in the pregnancy: 

https://www.ucsfbenioffchildrens.org/pdf/manuals/21_IUG.pdf

by Ramandeep Singh - Monday, 15 March 2021, 8:41 PM

Hi everyone,

If I am a sonographer and I noticed that the third trimester baby I was scanning was measuring smaller than normal, I would first make sure to double check all of my biometric measurements so I do not create any false abnormalities. The first thought in my head after double checking my measurements would be that the baby has some sort of IUGR and to check for that by comparing the abdominal circumference to head circumference. Symmetric growth restriction leads to reduction in all biometric measurements whereas asymmetric occurs when the abdominal size is smaller than the head circumference. I would also check amniotic fluid volumes and ask the mother if she is having any issues currently like diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. These are all clues in my investigation in finding out what could be possibly wrong with the baby. If the baby is measuring small, it is not getting all the nutrients it needs so I would doppler the umbilical vein to make sure baby is getting all the blood it needs. If I see anything abnormal with the umbilical vein then I will check the middle cerebral artery for cardiovascular distress or hypoxia. While I am checking all of this, I am also mentally noting how often the baby is moving around and flexing his/her limbs so I will check the biophysical profile (BPP) of the baby so examining baby's breathing, heart rate, muscle tone and movement. I have included an image that summarizes what is evaluated during a BPP test:

Biophysical Profile & Color Doppler Ultrasound in the High Risk Pregnancy

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Monday, 15 March 2021, 9:06 PM

Hi Raman! Great job. I like that you mentioned you would take mental note of the BPP components while scanning. Even though it is an exam on its own, it is easy enough to observe while doing the growth survey. If you did notice that the fetus was underperforming in two or more of the BPP criteria, would you score it in your report as if it was an ordered BPP exam? 

Also, how should our mindset and approach differ when performing 2nd trimester anatomy scans versus 3rd trimester follow up scans?

by Ramandeep Singh - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 7:42 PM

Hi Alexis,

I have not seen a BPP test done yet at my site but I think that I would definitely add it to my exam comments. I know doctors are really picky so I am not sure if I actually can do a BPP test without them ordering it but I will just note down that I think the baby needs a BPP test or maybe even call the PCP or OB/GYN and see what they think.

For a second trimester scan our main focus is the baby's growth and that is why we look at everything like the biometrics and try to check for any abnormalities. On the other hand, a third trimester is more to make sure the baby is ready now to be in the real world and that is why we check to make sure everything is working well and look at the overall health of the baby. If the baby is not doing so great, we as sonographers have the huge responsibility to check with doctors and act appropriately so that best course of action can take place. For instance, a baby may need to be delivered early and that decision needs to be made as soon as possible.

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 8:12 PM

I don't have experience either, but I agree with your judgment on what to do if we notice the baby isn't hitting the BPP marks during a fetal growth exam. I think I would also teams or call the reading rad to alert them that it might be an urgent situation. Hopefully we'll see more OB at our next sites!

by Nailah Hollman - Monday, 15 March 2021, 9:31 PM

In the circumstance a fetus was measuring smaller than gestational age there a few steps I would take as a sonographer. I would take biometric measurements (BPD, HC, AC, Fl) to see which parameters shows different gestational age than expected. I would take multiple measurement just to be safe. These measurements can determine if an asymmetric IUGR is present considering this typically becomes evident in the late second to thrid trimester. I would further asses the amnioitic fluid volume to see if there can be any contributing factors there affecting the babies growth. I also would perform the biphysical profile to asses how baby is thriving in its maternal environment and if preterm labor needs to be considered. A score of 6 and below after two biophysical assesments would mean that the mother needs to be admitted to be further evaluated. The assesment should be performed more than once just to make sure the baby is not resting. Furthermore, I would Doppler the ducuts venosus, cerebral artery, uterine artery, and umbilical artery to asses if blood if perfusing properly. Any qualitative apperances such as reverse diastolic flow, or quantitative values such as an umbilical artery with and S/D ratio above three can suggest the baby is not thriving in it its environment and needs to be delivered. Lastly of course as always, I would asses the cervix and placenta lie. 

This website has some great images of the third trimester protocal:

https://www.ultrasoundpaedia.com/normal-3rdtrimester/

OBSTETRICAL ULTRASOUND - ppt video online download

I like this study because it reminds us of the various anomalies that can be present and how soon.

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Monday, 15 March 2021, 10:24 PM

Hey Nailah! Great job. I like how you mentioned how there are qualitative and quantitative parameters for the Doppler waveforms of the fetal vessels we should be aware of. I also liked how you said BPP scores can sometimes be affected by the circadian rhythm of the fetus and we should evaluate those with borderline scores again. 

What is another type of IUGR besides asymmetric and how can you tell the difference? 

Also, when you get a chance could you please post the link to the study for the anomaly chart? Is the chart showing which anomalies were detected in utero and then which of those anomalies were still present after birth? 

by Nailah Hollman - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 11:03 AM

Hey Alexis, 

Besides asymmetric IUGR there is symmetric IUGR. With asymmetric there is a discrepancy between HC/AC ratio with HC being notably higher than AC. Symmetric IUGR implies that entire fetus is measuring smaller than gestational age. 

Here's the website I retrieved the information from:

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1516-31802019000500391

Picture of Candee Lam
by Candee Lam - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 7:15 PM

Hi Nailah 

I like that you mentioned measuring AFI can you tell me what an increase in AFI would mean and what a decrease in AFI would mean. And what the upper and lower limits of these are?

Disorders of Amniotic Fluid | Obgyn Key

by Nailah Hollman - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 11:23 AM

A decrease of AFI would suggest oligohydramnios, which is an AFI of 5cm or less. An increase in AFI would be considered polyhydramnios, which is considered mild when the AFI is mild when the AFI is between 8-11cm and severe when it exceeds 16 cm. 

by Ramandeep Singh - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 7:40 PM

Hi Nailah,

I scanned third trimester baby for the first time this week. As you mentioned I took all of the biometric measurements twice and  made sure to check for any abnormalities. It is much easier said than done though. The baby was big and since there was not much amniotic fluid I had to look around for many windows to get a much better picture. Thank you for sharing the  3rd trimester protocol! I am looking at it and comparing it to my pictures.

Picture of Molly McCain
by Molly McCain - Monday, 15 March 2021, 10:06 PM

When noticing that the baby is measuring smaller, my next plan of action would be to remeasure the baby 2 additional times to confirm measurements are accurate. By measuring the BPD, HC, AC, and FL those will show us if baby is in fact measuring smaller than it should be and has IUGR. 

There are two types of IUGR: symmetric and asymmetric. 

Symmetric is where all fetal biometric parameters tend to be less than expected (below the 10th percentile) for the given gestational age. Both length and weight parameters are reduced (HC/BPD and FL/AC)

Asymmetric is where some fetal biometric parameters are disproportionately lower than others, as well as falling under the 10th percentile. The parameter classically affected is the abdominal circumference (AC). HC/AC is useful because HC larger than AC. Asymmetric tends to occur in the 3rd trimester. Also fetal tachycardia (may be present in up to 50% of cases 4) and Oligohydramnios may be present as an additional sonographic feature.

After remeasuring the baby I would then look at the amniotic fluid index by taking measurements of the deepest pockets of each of the 4 quadrants. Measuring the 4 quadrants in transverse and longitudinal planes while being perpendicular to the maternal spine is very important for accurate measurements. 

<5cm= oligohydramnios

>25 cm=polyhydramnios

Next I would doppler the umbilical vein, ductus venosus, uterine artery, and cerebral artery to make sure blood was flowing appropriately. I would see if there are abnormalities present in these waveforms like a reversed A wave in the ductus venosus or high resistance in the umbilical artery instead of it being low.

An S/D ratio for the maternal uterine arteries of below 2.6 is considered abnormal.

An S/D ratio for the middle cerebral artery under 3 is considered abnormal. 

An S/D ratio for the umbilical artery over 3 would be considered abnormal.

Growth restricted fetuses with abnormal ductus venosus flow have worse perinatal outcome compared to those where flow abnormalities are confined to the umbilical or middle cerebral artery. If you see a reversed wave in the ductus venosus then the baby would need to be delivered since they are not thriving inside of mom. 

At this stage of pregnancy our main goal is to keep mom and baby safe leading up to delivery by making sure to be on the look out for instances that a pre-term delivery is necessary. We must pay close attention while scanning so we can prevent tragedies from occurring. 

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Monday, 15 March 2021, 11:09 PM

Awesome post, Molly! I appreciate you explaining the parameters of IUGR and the two types. I didn't know that asymmetric IUGR was associated with tachycardia in half the cases. For symmetric IUGR, what are some factors that can cause it and is there a differential diagnosis we should consider? 

Picture of Molly McCain
by Molly McCain - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 7:50 PM

Hey Alexis!

Symmetric IUGR can be caused from:

*aneuploidic syndromes:
triploidy
trisomy 13
trisomy 18
*infections, e.g. TORCH 7
other
*topical use of maternal fluorinated glucocorticoid (rare) 3
*external agents, e.g. nicotine, alcohol, heroin, ionizing radiation 7

Symmetric IUGR differential diagnosis would be incorrect dates or a lower end of normal variation if the parents are small in size. 

Love this YouTube video that quickly summarizes asymmetric and symmetric IUGR differences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7jSdVG9RRw

Thank you for your question!

Great job moderating!!

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 8:21 PM

Perfect! Seeing incorrect dates as a differential diagnosis really emphasizes how important accurate dating is in the first trimester. Thank you for sharing the mnemonic video also! "Mama Made Poor Uterus Sick" for asymmetric IUGR is spot on. 

Picture of Candee Lam
by Candee Lam - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 8:23 PM

Hey Molly just wanted to add on that in a normal fetus you should see in the 

First trimester Head > abdomen 

second trimester Head = abdomen 

thrid trimester Head < abdomen

Picture of Molly McCain
by Molly McCain - Friday, 19 March 2021, 5:10 AM

Hey Candee!

Thank you for the reminder of how the head vs abdomen should compare throughout pregnancy. Your  post was great touching on all the important concepts to remember. Thank you for adding the differences of asymmetric IUGR having inappropriate limb sizes versus symmetric IUGR being completely smaller as a whole. Huge concept for us to know. The YouTube video did a wonderful job comparing IUGR VS to SGA. 

An example Umbilical V/A doppler image of symmetrical IUGR:

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Monday, 15 March 2021, 10:48 PM

Great job so far, friends! After reading Candee's post, here are some other questions I thought might be helpful to consider. 

Is there a difference between IUGR and measuring small for gestational age (SGA)? If so, what is it? How is it determined? Is there overlap between the two? Is there a different treatment or management plan for each? 

by Monica De Ocampo - Monday, 15 March 2021, 11:32 PM

Hi Alexis,

Both abnormalities are caused by placental issues, poor nutrition, a multiple gestational pregnancy, or even DNA traits/ parental demographics (short parents).

IUGR is defined as a fetus that not reached its true growth potential within the womb. This is typically due to genetic or environmental factors.

SGA is defined as babies born with their birth weight below the 10th percentile for the appropriate gestational age.

It's important to know the differences that one occurs while the baby is still in the womb and the other born. IUGR also describes a low fetal growth, as SGA only mentions low birth weight. Understanding these differences can help the Doctor assess the baby with the care it specifically needs.

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Friday, 19 March 2021, 7:56 PM

Fabulous, Monica! I think you did a great job picking up on the nuances between the two. 

by Zulema Hernandez - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 9:06 PM

I also was wondering what the difference between IUGR and SGA is! I love that Monica explained SGA  looks at the low BIRTH weight. Here's a great little summary of some key differences and similarities:

https://whyisdifference.com/science/health/difference-between-iugr-vs-sga.html

Summary of IUGR vs. SGA

• IUGR is a condition of limited growth of a fetus in the uterus.
  • SGA is a smaller than usual size of a fetus or baby when compared with statistical norms.
  • Both IUGR and SGA can have similar complications once the baby is born, such as hypothermia or hypoglycemia.
  • SGA is not always due to a problem or pathological process but IUGR is always indicative of an underlying problem

Difference Between IUGR vs. SGA | Difference Between

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Friday, 19 March 2021, 8:00 PM

Hi Zuly. Such a great and informative chart! Thank you for sharing and for your summary. I found it very helpful. 

by Monica De Ocampo - Monday, 15 March 2021, 11:19 PM

Before I take this PT in for their third- trimester follow- up exam, I would observe the priors to understand what I would expect during the exam. If I see that the fetus is measuring smaller than it should be, I would:

• ensure that I'm not pressing way too hard on the mother's belly, swishing the fetus's head smaller
  • optimize the best windows to achieve a good view of biometric measurements
  • take double the measurements ALWAYS to ensure accuracy

As sonographers, when we encounter a third trimester, the last phase of the pregnancy, we should be cautious of the fetal heartbeat, breathing/ body movement, Amniotic Fluid Volume, and most importantly the fetal weight! 

• M- mode,  normal fetal heartbeat should range from 110- 160 bpm
  • Oligohydramnios 
    • < 200 ml
  • Polygohydramnios 
    • > 2000 ml
  • Intrauterine Growth Restriction (IUGR)
    • when the fetal weight is BELOW 10% of gestational age
    • Asymmetric--> occurs in the late second or third trimester
      • normal BPD/ HC, but small AC
    • Symmertic--> occurs in the first trimester
      • small BPD/ HC, AC, FL
  • Macrosomia
    • birth weight is OVER the 90 percentile

I don't think our though process would significantly change. Just as Paris noted, before we ended class " [She] would scan in segments. As she takes images of the heart segment and can't image anything but LVOT, then it's incomplete". I believe that we are aware to stay cautious, vigilant, and scan as if this was our own baby. 

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 1:00 PM

Hi Monica! Very thorough response. I like how you mentioned transducer pressure and can squish the anatomy slightly if we’re not careful. Definitely a lot of finesse involved. I also appreciate the reiteration of Paris’s sentiment and I agree it is something we should be applying to all exams. 

While scanning, which plane do you think would catch your eye and most obviously demonstrate asymmetric IUGR before taking any measurements? 

by Monica De Ocampo - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 1:47 PM

Hello Alexis!

All depending on position of the baby, I would want to achieve a longitudinal plane of the fetus. This would demonstrate a large fetus head and a small abdomen in view. 

by Brittany Lopes - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 7:55 PM

Hi Monica!

I like how you added that symmetrical and asymmetrical IUGR can occur at different times. Do you recall which one is often caused by genetic or environmental factors?

Here's a simple graphic that helps me visually remember the differences between these types.

by Monica De Ocampo - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 1:54 PM

Hey Brittany! 

Asymmetric (80%) is due to maternal factors and uteteroplacental insufficiency

Symmetric (20%) is due to genetic disorder, infection, environmental toxins, malnutrition, or multiple gestation. 

...I think, correct me if I am wrong.

THANK YOU for sharing that amazing graph. Short and simple! Love it!

by Brittany Lopes - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 6:42 PM

Yes, you're correct!

Great job :)

by Nailah Hollman - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 11:36 AM

Hey Monica, 

Great response. It was very informative and easy to follow, which I appreciate. I found it interesting while doing my research that IUGR is the second leading cause of perinatal deaths. This article gives information about IUGR is identified and managed. It also mentioned that fundal height is used to detect IUGR. Apparently a fundal height > or = to 4cm less than expected can suggest IUGR. Fundal height is measured from the pubic bone to the top of the uterus. 

Here's the article: 

https://www.aafp.org/afp/1998/0801/p453.html 

Here is more information on fundal height:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/pregnancy-week-by-week/expert-answers/fundal-height/faq-20057962

Measurement of fundal height during pregnancy

Picture of Lania Black
by Lania Black - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 8:32 PM

Hi Monica!

Great post, I love your thought process!

It's super important we look at priors before starting the exam so our eyes can be focused if there's something specific we need to be looking for. I also love how you mentioned we want to make sure we aren't pressing too hard, because in reality this can obscure certain images and measurements we try to take, so great job pointing that out!

Picture of Karen Chow
by Karen Chow - Monday, 15 March 2021, 11:29 PM

Hi everyone!

If I were to encounter a fetus measuring smaller than they should on their follow up scan, I would refer to previous exams and doctor's notes. If nothing corresponds with this smaller measurement, I may ask the parents just as a double checker if there is any family history of medical conditions that may explain what we're seeing.

After that, I would triple check all measurements, making sure not to overlook any discrepancies or human error while obtaining values. If the numbers still seem small, then it would point to some sort of IUGR. If this is confirmed, then there will be a lot more fine-toothed combing through the following exams and measurements up until birth. I would make sure fetus' heart is still beating, I would check mother's anatomy to make sure nothing new is happening health-wise, and I would check amniotic fluid levels, as well as doppler for blood flow patterns.

https://aium.org/resources/guidelines/obstetric.pdf  (pg5-7 goes through assessment in second and third trimesters in detail)

At this point in the pregnancy, we would also be looking at biophysical profiles to assess fetal well being. We also want to check for head or brain sparing from the IUGR.

Here's a diagram I found of possible features of IUGR:

by Lauren Brodehl - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 11:42 AM

Hi Karen!

We both had really similar answers! I too didn't mention using doppler on IUGR pregnancies when the order calls for it. Many fetuses that are small for dates will need to return at intervals to have doppler studies performed to make sure the baby is getting what it needs vascularly. We actually had a patient this morning that was supposed to show for a weekly doppler for IUGR. She ended up being a no-show, but her prior exams had doppler waveforms and measurements which was really nice to see after yesterdays lecture!

There were some things mentioned in her prior reports that we either just learned or haven't learned yet about doppler like indexes, so here's a picture of some of the normal doppler indexes/ratios we should be seeing :)

Baseline characteristics in pregnancies with intrauterine growth... |  Download Table

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 1:10 PM

Hi Karen! Thank you for sharing the AIUM guidelines. That is a great resource to have. Nice image also (especially the description of ”old man look.”)

If the measurements were off track enough to suspect IUGR, what would be some of the maternal causes this late in the pregnancy? 

Picture of Candee Lam
by Candee Lam - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 8:28 PM

Hey Karen

Thanks for including that diagram with the symptoms that correlate with IUGR. I also liked that you mentioned biophysical profile do you remember what we obtain during this exam?

Picture of Karen Chow
by Karen Chow - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 11:04 PM

Hi Candice, 

I thought you might appreciate this for biophysical profile!

Picture of Leah Borries
by Leah Borries - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 6:05 PM

Amazing!!

by Hailey Indelicato - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 7:56 PM

Hi Karen, I like how your diagram breaks down the different features that IUGR can have. I love color coded things lol. It mentions some things that I hadn't know about like this umbilical cord, large/thin hands, loose folds of skin, etc so that's really good to know! do you think these are general features or more towards asymmetric or symmetric IUGR?

Picture of Sarah Swager
by Sarah Swager - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 10:31 PM

Howdy everyone,

My first move would be to see if mom is unusually small. Then, I would double check my measurements. Am I on axis? Am I in the correct locations? If so, I'd move onto UA color and doppler. Is there good flow? If so, I'd check fluid, kidneys, and bladder. If the UA/V flow isn't great, I'd check the MCA.

At the third trimester baby should have had a 20 week scan and been checked off. Assuming measurements were normal at that time I'd assume something may be off. I'd take a quick biophysical profile in my head to see if I need to contact doctor right away.

Sarah

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Tuesday, 16 March 2021, 10:56 PM

Hi Sarah! I envy your skill of being concise in your response. I like how you broke down your approach to "if this, then that." Say you're moving through your approach as described. When you Doppler the umbilical vein, you notice that the flow is monophasic, but pulsatile. What could this mean?

Picture of Sarah Swager
by Sarah Swager - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 11:30 PM

Howdy Alexis,

Man this is hard without images! I'm thinking it may be normal because we may be picking up artery and vein.

Check out his helpful video on doppler!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbsoWFVYFM

Sarah

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 8:17 PM

I'm sorry - I can see how that may be difficult! Here is an image of the scenario I was describing.

You are on track though! Here are my notes from the chapter about the UV that gave me the idea for the question:

• Normal

• Linear forward flow

• Pulsations assoc w/ fetal breathing are normal after 13 weeks

• Abnormal

• Pulsations synchronous w/ cardiac cycle → abnormal cardiac function

• Assoc w/ late UA abnormalities

• Sign of imminent fetal asphyxia, academia, hypoxemia, adverse perinatal outcome

by Brittany Lopes - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 7:35 PM

Hi Sarah!

Have you observed and biophysical profiles at your clinical site yet? I'm curious if it's something we won't normally see unless we work in perinatology. 

Here's what the set up looks like for a BPP and non stress test!

by Lauren Brodehl - Wednesday, 17 March 2021, 7:50 PM

Hi Sarah!

I love that you added to make sure we are getting that measurement in the right plane and location, which is probably a reality we are all struggling with in clinicals! I know I went into biometrics thinking "BPD is easy, just get thalami, CSP, and falx!" but when I'm actually trying to find that plane with baby moving and sometimes a shadowing head, it is so hard! I hope we all get to that point soon that we know we are measuring correctly instead of looking at our measurements and hoping we see normal results to confirm we did it right. I know I am not confident enough in many of my OB measurements yet without checking the dimensions/dates it gives me, but that won't work well in the case of abnormalities/size discrepancy!

Picture of Leah Borries
by Leah Borries - Thursday, 18 March 2021, 6:08 PM

I was scanning a patient today whose baby was vertex with her cute little head right up against the cervix. It made visualizing both the head structures and the cervix challenging! Of course, the tech I was working with got it no problem. So we will get there guys, just gotta keep practicing.

Picture of Alexis Rojas
by Alexis Rojas - Saturday, 20 March 2021, 11:46 AM

And that's all folks! Thank you to everyone for the participation this week. I know it is a busy one for us all as we prepare for finals. 

Here are some of the highlights from the discussion board:

- Third trimester follow ups are focused on evaluating the fetus's growth and ability to thrive for the remainder of the pregnancy. Fetal biometry is an essential component as always. 

- When the fetus is measuring < 10th percentile for EFW, SGA and IUGR are considerations. An IUGR diagnosis requires serial examination. 

- IUGR classically presents as symmetric or asymmetric.  In cases of suspected or diagnosed IUGR, spectral Doppler of vessels such as the UA, MCA, UV, and DV are important to monitor the fetus's well-being. 

- Taking mental notes if the fetus is checking the boxes for BPP during any 3rd trimester evaluation is a great practice, even if the exam isn't specifically a BPP.

- As always, take note of fetal lie, presentation, presence of a heartbeat, maternal anatomy, placenta and umbilical cord. Also, look at priors before the exam to give yourself a baseline.

I hope we all can continue to share our experiences and our expanding knowledge of OB going forward. I have learned something from all of you and I thank you!