Week 9: Forum/Discussion Board

Picture of Chrishawna Porter
Re: Fetal Skeleton
by Chrishawna Porter - Thursday, 4 March 2021, 5:37 PM

Hey Everyone,

We're more than halfway through the week and I can't believe all of the postings you've shared!! We discussed on Monday some important questions a sonographer should ask their patients prior to the exam. Do you or your CI's have specific questions that are always asked, or if not, what would you ask a patient coming in for her 2nd trimester anatomical survey?

65 words
Picture of Zulema Hernandez
by Zulema Hernandez - Thursday, 4 March 2021, 6:43 PM

Great job this week Crishawna! 

I really liked the list of questions Paris shared with us as an example. The techs at my site usually ask questions such as:

• How many times have you been pregnant?
  • How many live births?
  • Do you know what you're having? (gender)
  • (If they don't, they usually ask them if they would like to know)
  • How has your pregnancy been going?

Aside from these, I think it's also great to ask slightly more sensitive questions such as 

• How were your previous pregnancies, did you have any complications?
  • Do you have any family history of any anomalies/genetic defects?

I'm working on getting better asking relevant questions to all my patients before an exam, as well as explaining/narrating as Sue mentioned, so this is a really great question Crishawna!

134 words
by Chrishawna Porter - Thursday, 4 March 2021, 7:05 PM

Hi Zuly,

These questions are great!! One of the things I need to work on is asking my patients more questions before we begin, I always find once I start scanning a question or two I wish I would've asked. Sometimes I feel a little awkward in my delivery of the questions, I need to speak with confidence so patients feel they can trust me and will receive the best care! :)

71 words
Picture of Leah Borries
by Leah Borries - Thursday, 4 March 2021, 7:08 PM

Great job moderating this week! One thing techs always ask, and that I've started doing when I'm talking to a patient, is "Do you know what you're having?"

Just because we need to know if they don't know and want to keep it a surprise. Most of the time they already know because of the blood test, but sometimes they don't want to know so it's important to refrain from using pronouns.

So far I've only seen singletons, but I'm excited to see multiples! 

84 words
by Chrishawna Porter - Friday, 5 March 2021, 5:45 PM

Hi Leah,

I think this a great question to ask and from what I've seen so far it seems the majority of patients already know the gender from prior lab tests, but want to "double check" with a sonogram. I don't think patients realize the lab tests are much more accurate than ultrasound, but I do think it adds peace of mind when both results match!

66 words
Picture of Molly McCain
by Molly McCain - Thursday, 4 March 2021, 11:26 PM

Hey Chrishawna!

Great question for everyone!

My CI also asks the patient if they know what they're having and how their pregnancy has been for them. I've found that they don't ask about prior history regarding any anomalies in previous children or in family members. My CI does ask if its a first pregnancy or how many other children they have. I want to ask if I am allowed to ask that in clinical's. It's hard at times because you don't want to step over your CI, but you also want to try to perform what we're learning in this class. I do like how my CI narrates the exam to the patient. I try to do some narrating while scanning, but at times I need to really concentrate on getting images. 

Hope your week in clinical's was great! Wonderful job moderating!

142 words
by Chrishawna Porter - Friday, 5 March 2021, 5:49 PM

Hi Molly,

I totally understand what you mean about not over stepping. I noticed the questions that are asked are different depending on which technologist I am working with and I don't want to say the wrong thing or offend anyone if I ask any additional questions. I think once we start these exams on our own we may feel more comfortable asking questions, but it can be difficult if we are the ones back scanning. I also find when I am scanning OB I spend a lot of the time trying to talk myself through it and orient, hopefully one day soon I can multitask a little bit better!

110 words
Picture of Candee Lam
by Candee Lam - Friday, 5 March 2021, 8:50 PM

Hi Chrishawana you’re doing a great job moderating this week and keeping everyone engaged unfortunately at my site we do not get a lot of second trimester OB or OB at all however I am sure the outpatient clinic does. But the small amount that we get by here my CI asks if the patient pregnancy has been going well or how it has been with their previous pregnancies. They also usually ask how many times they’ve been pregnant if they’ve lost any children previously and questions like that. I haven’t heard any of the techs that I follow ask the patient about a history of skeletal diseases or family history but I’m kind of curious about why they don’t. This class is definitely when me realize how important it is to ask your patient about family history and any information that would help you better scan. 

I would ask you if your site asks any specific questions but I’m sure Dr. Wilson (OB GOD) covers all the bases!!! 

169 words